I Forge Iron

Chainsaw chain etching

Robg

Hey guys! I finally successfully forge welded some billets. Chainsaw chain and bandsaw mixed with circular saw blades. I'm just wondering why the chainsaw chain came out a muddy mess. No distinct pattern. The blades had some pattern but really light patterning. How do you get the really nice dark etch? Both were soaked about 20 minutes. This is my first time etching so I'm sure it's probably operator error too lol. I did not harden either one of these or take them to a mirror finish either. I just wanted to take a peek lol. Thanks

20190124_111356.jpg

I think it would've come out nicer with a longer soak in weaker solution. That billet looks like it has cracks if so it might be the perfect one to cut into test coupons and etch a number in different etchants to find which works best on THAT billet.

Frosty The Lucky.

Yes it's definitely a test piece frosty. I think it's the edges of my flatter because I just recently figured out to round the edges of the flatter. This is my first weld and etching so kind of happy with the results even though it's horrible lol. I'll figure it out. Thanks

11 hours ago, Robg said:

I'm just wondering why the chainsaw chain came out a muddy mess. No distinct pattern. The blades had some pattern but really light patterning. How do you get the really nice dark etch? Both were soaked about 20 minutes. This is my first time etching so I'm sure it's probably operator error too lol. I did not harden either one of these or take them to a mirror finish either. I just wanted to take a peek lol. Thanks

I'm not sure what you mean by 'muddy mess', but if you're referring to the fact that it doesn't look like a chainsaw, that's due to the all the squishing around from forging. 

If you're referring to the pattern not being very dark, there are a couple possibilities (and I'd says it's a combination of all of them).  First, the chainsaw chain's links are probably not very high carbon content, even might be mild steel. This is probably the main reason.  Second if you only soaked it in the coffee for 20 minutes, that's not long enough.  I've left mine in the coffee for 24 hrs without any difficulties other than a bit more to clean off the steel with the nickle content.   Third, because there isn't many layers, you won't get much topography with the acid etch, so when you clean/polish the blade, unless you are extremely careful  to clean only the 15N20, you can't help removing some of the etch/coffee.

6 hours ago, Frosty said:

I think it would've come out nicer with a longer soak in weaker solution.

I'll correct this by saying stronger solution.  The coffee won't do any damage to the blade, and actually, doesn't etch for all practical purposes, only darkens the carbon steel.  The coffee solution that I use is 1/2 lb of the cheapest instant coffee I could fine to 1/3 gal water.  (I read somewhere that someone was going to do a test with different types of coffee, but haven't seen any results.)  I've also found that the more I use it, the darker it etches.

I'm not saying the above responses are wrong (well, except for that part of Frosty's:unsure:) because remember, if you ask 10 blacksmiths how to do something, you'll get 12 different answers.

Thanks for the help billy! The "muddy mess" I was referring to was the chain which I didn't post a picture of because I laid my billet down and couldn't find it lol but I did and I'll post a picture of it here. The pictures that you were looking at is the bandsaw and circular saw blades. They were in FC for 20 minutes and then in almost boiling coffee for 10 minutes. I believe you may be right about the chainsaw chain not having enough high carbon content. It makes sense. Here is the picture of the chainsaw chain.

20190125_211055.jpg

7 hours ago, Robg said:

I'm learning through trial and error.

This might not be the most economical way to learn, but IMHO, as long as you're paying attention, the best way.

If just starting out, I'd recommend joining any 'local' blacksmiths organizations.  A great way to meet close smiths, get invited to their shops, and learn.

as always

peace and love

billyO

• 2 weeks later...

I find that doing at least a 6+ hour soak in a coffee etch is ideal. I usually return to clean the blade off with isopropyl every hour or so helps achieve a nice dark, even etch.  The patina from working with it afterwards looks really cool too, the etch stays put with no problems.  As others have said carbon content may be a factor, but your welds in the final blade look like they held up nicely!