I Forge Iron

How would I go about making a drill bit like the one pictured?

Lmfalen

I"m interested in how these were forged, and was hoping that someone could fill me in on the process or refer me to something that details their creation. If you think this would be better posted somewhere else, please let me know. Thank you.

Screenshot_20181021-221916_YouTube.jpg

If it is the bit from the Colonial Gunsmith video, then it’s less a drill bit (and even less a tap) and more of a reamer, designed to take the rough-forged axial hole of the barrel and turn it into a smooth, straight bore. 

Daswulf - it is the bit used in that video

JHCC -

How would I go about making on of them? I heard that the heat treat and metal type are the same as making a small chisel, but thats about the extent of my knowledge on the subject 

Sorry I can't help much on the how. I just recognized the photo from that awesome video.

I can think of some possible ways but they would certainly not be from experience making any cutters like this so I'd rather not throw out speculation that might be very wrong. I am interested to hear what others might know. 

Someone may be along to help with the How to, or offer up a book reference. 

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the gang live within visiting distance.

Watching the video where he's boring the barrel he talks about breaking bits and how he makes them in general. By the looks where he shows the broken bit and the newly made one they look to be round stock forged flat and twisted. As stated he files the relief and taper before heat treating.

It should be enough to do a little experimenting.

Frosty The Lucky. 

• 1 month later...

That's a reamer, not a drill bit.

The trick is that there's a keyway cut into the end.  The key is good high-carbon steel with a nice sharp edge/corner just like you'd want on a lathe tool.  To increase the cut after every pass, you place a shim of paper under the key to raise it up a hair.

It takes a lot of oil and a lot of passes to get your bore sized right and smoothed out.  Then it's on to the rifling!