I Forge Iron

Second Damascus project

Meridianfrost

So here is my second go at pattern welding. As you can see here, I did another raindrop pattern, because with the tools I have, it is either raindrop or ladder. I think I’ll try a ladder pattern next, then a feather pattern. Anyway, it’s 128 layers of 15n20 and 1084. I did a kukri inspired profile on the knife with a convex edge. I also included my touchmark on this knife, which was a first. It is a full tang construction with cocboloc burl scales, loveless bolts, a nickel silver thong tube, all held together with 24 hour g-flex epoxy. I really love this knife. Let me know what you think. :)

8550B344-542B-453F-A90B-1B0C48191A6F.jpeg

I always been a fan of raindrop pattern, but most of the time people make it to generic, but this is amazing work cause the pattern has much more of a natural flow its beautiful, also it being your second attempt at it is really impressive: By the looks of it is a really well crafted knife, looks like a knife that should work well for a lot of things, also since you made a convex shaped edge and it not being as curved as a kukri it should work for skinning as well. And back to the pattern, like I sad your second attempt it is impressive, I like the amount of layers you used it looks great, I personally not a fan when it gets to a point where there are so many layers it is hard to tell, think that the balance of finding the right layers for the pattern is key, and I think you did great man.

Thank you for sharing your crafts, I would love to see more images if its not a bother :)

I'm not a blade guy but I am a tool user. It looks comfortable to use, the lanyard hole is a good feature it puts a nice swelling to the handle where you want one without sharp edge. I'm a big fan of low count high contrast patterns and this is right in my happy zone.

What little I can see of it that is! :( Notice how clearly everything shows in your shadow and how washed out it al is reflecting the sky? Even a large portion of the handle is washed out by a large highlight. (reflection of the sky)

Shiny steel does NOT require bright light to photograph. Shoot a couple pics in the shade or at least try angling the blade so it's not reflecting light straight into the camera. Taking lots of pics to capture one good one is the norm, I used to shoot a couple 36 frame rolls for a pic. IF I was lucky that is.

The human eye and brain filters things like strong highlights but all a camera can do is record what's there.

Frosty The Lucky.

On 8/15/2018 at 5:53 AM, DuEulear said:

nice clean work on the knife overall and a good grind too

Thanks very much. 

On 8/15/2018 at 7:56 AM, Cincinnatus said:

Great looking knife!

Thank you. 

On 8/15/2018 at 9:32 AM, Zrognak said:

I always been a fan of raindrop pattern, but most of the time people make it to generic, but this is amazing work cause the pattern has much more of a natural flow its beautiful, also it being your second attempt at it is really impressive:

Thanks very much for the encouragement. I will continue to make as much as I can. I’m going to post some more photos down in Frosty’s comment. 

On 8/15/2018 at 11:50 AM, Frosty said:

I'm not a blade guy but I am a tool user. It looks comfortable to use, the lanyard hole is a good feature it puts a nice swelling to the handle where you want one without sharp edge. I'm a big fan of low count high contrast patterns and this is right in my happy zone.

Thanks very much, Frosty. Photos of my knives are something that I have always struggled with. I took a couple pictures in shade, but there is still some reflection on the steel. 

E67F4DE5-F3CF-4756-B908-D8B155A1030C.jpeg

A4E7A1DE-8558-4EED-AC4C-C903986BBF0D.jpeg

FC07ED14-3D3D-4547-871C-8E1BA61D006B.jpeg

Much better pics, the last one especially. If you put the light behind you and angle the flat surfaces away it'll reduce reflection. Round surfaces are going to reflect light directly into the lens almost no matter what you do without using a light box to diffuse the source even then.

Pretty blade, well done.

Frosty The Lucky.

Looks great.  

On 8/14/2018 at 10:58 PM, Meridianfrost said:

So here is my second go at pattern welding. As you can see here, I did another raindrop pattern, because with the tools I have, it is either raindrop or ladder. I think I’ll try a ladder pattern next, then a feather pattern.

Don't limit yourself too much.  You can also do a twist pattern, and there are many variations on the ladder pattern. I've ground x's, checkered patterns, ladder grooves that only go up half the width of the blade, and you can combine the patterns.   In fact, you may have just inspired me to do a widely spaced ladder pattern with raindrop holes drilled between the grooves....hmmmm...