I Forge Iron

Blacksmithing Movies And Music

What is you favorite movie or song that features or mentions a blacksmith or blacksmithing? One of my favorites is in "O Brother Where Art Thou" at the very beginning when the George Clooney character says, "Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?"

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9jZFD255UYI&feature=related

There are also several scenes in the movie A Knights Tale with Heath Ledger of blacksmiths and armorers making armor. Lots of anvils, forges and iron being pounded.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_Utj_42t1YY

Another one of my favorites is in Wagner's opera Der Ring des Nibelungen. I guarantee everybody has heard the "Ride of the Valkyries", the piece played in Apocalypse Now when the Huey helicopters were attacking the village. That piece is from this opera but I digress. There is a scene where the Gods descend into the underworld to recover a stolen, all powerful gold ring. Here is what it says in the liner notes.

"During the interlude the hammering rythym of the motive associated with the toiling Nibelungs grows more and more insistent, and finally passes out of the orchestra all together to eighteen tuned anvils heard behind the scenes. In this striking sonority the theme grows louder and then fainter again, as the journey takes us past the forges where the dwarfs work, and eventually the darkness clears to reveal a subterranean cavern, which seems to open into narrow clefts on all sides."

Here it is on Youtube around 1:20.

Needless to say this is my favorite part. I love hearing all those anvils being hit then they just fade away as the Gods leave the toiling dwarves.

I bet an opera has never been mentioned before on this forum. I apologize in advance for trying to bring a little culture and sophistication to all you blacksmiths.:)

Can anybody think of any more? Edited by stonetrooper

Kingdom of Heaven, its hollywood blacksmithing but its blacksmithing just the same. There is a very old german blacksmith song or part from an opera I have his copy on one of the records that you play on a vitrola but I can't read german.

I remember hearing that there were only two rock songs ever written that mention a blacksmith. One is by Rush. I don't remember the title. The other eludes me completely.
Gobbler

It was called "Closer to the Heart" - here are three stanzas excerpted...

And the men who hold high places
Must be the ones to start
To mould a new reality
Closer to the heart

The blacksmith and the artist
Reflect it in their art
To forge their creativity
Closer to the heart

Philosophers and ploughmen
Each must know his part
To sow a new mentality
Closer to the heart

We certainly don't want to forget the Heavy Metal Genre

Judas Priest has a tune named "Between the Hammer and the Anvil"

It has the anvil in the background surrounded by one of the best metal vocalist ever...Rob Halford

There is also a celtic tune called the "the Merry Blacksmith" The version done by the Irish Descendents is a good one.

Hang em' high . . . Clint Eastwood arrests the blacksmith ( The smith was played by Alan Hale Jr - Skipper from Gilligan's Island).

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's court - Danny Kaye starts up a BS shop and goes by the name "Sir Boss" - forges himself a pretty good looking Saturday Night Special . . .

Aww shoot, nobody ever calls me Sir Boss :(

Conan the Barbarian, hollywood style blacksmithing but still fun to watch.

What is the riddle of steel?

On a side note, it is a sad day in America when we feel we have to censor a classic book named Moby Dick because part of the title has been used in a vulgar way.

On a side note, it is a sad day in America when we feel we have to censor a classic book named Moby Dick because part of the title has been used in a vulgar way.

If you have concerns or comments about the site, contact me directly.

this line from vancouver metal band 3 inches of blood mentiones smithing somewhat.

flash of iron, leather, spikes, and swords!
mighty warriors with metal on their side!
enemies of metal, your death is our reward!
triumphant victory when you bring the steel to life