I Forge Iron

Case Hardening and alloying

After thinking it over and looking at his responses...this person is hiding for a reason...what ever reason(s) that me be...and I doubt that it is fear of someone stealing "who he is"

JPH

"American-ized" name James P Hrisoulas
Real name Dimitrios Apostolos Chrisoulasadides...
Henderson NV
USA

He has already eluded that he is from another planet. "Planet Remulak??"

Scott Scheer
Omaha Ne :)

IForgeIron has several Administrators and Moderators. The moderators they have been given the responsibility and authority to do what is best for the site. The moderators real names are not published, as their actions are not personal in nature, but a function of IForgeIron. If you have any issues with the actions of a moderator, report them directly to me. But be advised that the Moderator has already emailed me reporting any action they take, and most likely that action is already under review by the site administrators.

Folks,

I think we had a gamer visit us (Warcraft or a similar interactive computer game). The secrecy and esoteric nature of the questions would lead me to to that conclusion. He needs info to build fantasy weapons in hyperspace but can't reveal anything without putting himself in jeopardy with fellow gamers. The only wrinkle is that the people here doing it for a living don't have much patience with questions that are farfetched at first glance.

I doubt it's any more sinister than that...just my 2 pence.

• 1 month later...

Knarfle, forgive us for responding with a bit of biting sarcasm. To date, you are 1,285,763rd teen aged boy who posted on one of the metalworking sites wanting to make a sword. It is clear to us that you have done a little research but probably not of sufficient depth to have a clear understanding of the impossibility of your suggestions. We do not mean to discourage you. But when people post things like this without doing all the homework, we grow weary. Don A gave you some very simple and accurate answers. If you want more technical answers, JPH is a PhD metallurgist who makes exquisite blades. I am a Metallurgical Engineer with 30+ years of experience. We would be happy to address your specific and informed questions. Uh, and don't mess with Thomas Powers: he lives in the desert, works for the Government and glows in the dark.

Think of the money I save on not having to use lights after dark!

But really the glow in the dark stuff is a bit that-away from me; though I did visit the Trinity site...

We're the crew listening to what the stars are saying and QuenchCrack; they don't like you----they don't like you at all!

(When getting my CIS degree back in the old days of cattle car computer labs I used to wear my disreputable red hat when I went to use the terminals, setting it on top of the CRT to keep some of the glare off the screen. Then I would put on my hearing protectors to cut out some of the noise. When people next to me would ask me if they were a radio I would explain that they were just hearing protectors and I wore them so I could hear the voices in my head better---then I would look over their shoulder, squint a bit and then look them in the face and say "they don't like you----they don't like you at all!" and suddenly I had a greatly increased personal work space...)

• 1 year later...

Right, wow. I did not expect such a psychological profiling of my posting. My identity is my own, but this handle is used as my "main" handle and so therefore I do not wish to give away any information I don't have to.

I came here because I had an idea. That is what I do. I think. I know that might seem a little odd but that is my thing.

I am not a child or a minor. I simply try to break away from conventional thinking as often as possible. It is a well known fact that most discoveries are made by the people who are working on the fringe of accepted practices.

You can keep on making wheels till the cows come home, but something different happens if you put a wheel in a river or use it to wrap coated copper wire and then introduce and electrical or magnetic field. So reinventing the wheel might not be such a bad idea after all if you think about it.

Most of my work is theoretical and it is not often that I get the chance to see the results or do the fine tuning myself. In this I envy anyone who is capable of working with their hands. It is a gift I do not possess.

Unfortunately my lack of experience in this field has left me bereft of the proper language in order to make myself clear.

The idea was not to make a uniformed material, but rather to make a layered material that would benefit from the properties of other elements. In this way i was hoping to keep the flexibility of steel, with the hardness of carbon etc. There were other considerations as well such as magnetic properties but I did not think that this would be the proper forum in which to discuss them.

My real intent was to ascertain the plausibility of the manufacture process.

Is it possible to add material with a dissimilar melting point then steel with an uneven distribution (in layers) of lets say platinum without heating the steel to molten. See if you just add all of the elements together you get an even mixture but the properties of the blade can be altered according to the method of fabrication. This is demonstrated in the method of fabrication for forming a Japanese sword.

Think of sandpaper. There is the backing which is the paper and there is the grit. Now with sandpaper you use glue to hold it all together. Metal does not work so simply I am afraid.

Thus the ill worded posts earlier. In any event an alternative solution to the problem was discovered and thus this thread need not be expanded upon.

I hope that this exceeds your expectations in explanation.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

KnarfleTheGarthock

You can keep on making wheels till the cows come home, but something different happens if you put a wheel in a river or use it to wrap coated copper wire and then introduce and electrical or magnetic field. So reinventing the wheel might not be such a bad idea after all if you think about it.

Most of my work is theoretical and it is not often that I get the chance to see the results or do the fine tuning myself. In this I envy anyone who is capable of working with their hands. It is a gift I do not possess.

KnarfleTheGarthock

So, I'm interested in wrapping some wire with wheels myself, could you elaborate? Or is that another theoretical piece of work?

• 5 weeks later...

Re "beating the crap out of it," that notion comes probably from Longfellow's, "The smith a mighty man is he with arms like steel bands." As a teacher of smithery, I continually encourage the macho oriented, muscle bound student to use finesse, finesse, finesse.

http://www.turleyforge.com

Edited by Frank Turley
addition

Note that adding *powdered* Ti to something *hot* is not a good idea, Ti does burn you know.

Also you can alloy metals with dissimilar melting points, you can dissolve copper in molten Al even though the melting point of Al is way lower than that of copper.

Knowing the basics *really* helps when you are playing around with ideas, saves time, money and ER visits!

Also I might add that most the time those of us that "break the rules" to expand frontiers, almost always start with a grasp of the standard procedures, before the experimentation.

Like the popular comment about designing a race car, without first learning how to drive...

ohhh, Wii-Forge. I like it.

KTG, you're looking for help, but you're not making it easy. Your ignorance seems almost purposeful, your desire to do things "different" without any understanding of fundamentals is just silly.

A little humility and a lot of learning will get you where you really want to be, taking your goals at face value. You're not going to leap-frog the best in this business by just exploring crazy ideas without knowing what's actually happening.

Good luck to you sir.

Knarfle,
Please take the advice of Dr. J (JPH) He has literally written the book on the subject. Do not take the criticism as harsh. We are all pretty friendly around here. This is a very informative site but folks expect a bit of research to be done on ones own. I would also reccomend that you visit Sword Forum INT'l and first and foremost read Dr.J's books. Just a bit of friendly advice.

• 1 month later...