I Forge Iron

Bad forge day

Well yesterday after church I came home and put the family down fer a nap and thought I'd sneek out back and bend a little metal(as I have a mothers day gift to finish before mothers day) well apparently smithing counts as not resting on the Sabbath so after burning through the fancy spiral/heart/courting candle I was 90% finished I swore off this stupid craft and decided to goto home depot to see what I could get with the $100 dollar gift card that was burning a hole in my pocket... so below are pictures of what $105.00{less fasteners, which I had} will get you with about 5 hours of labor. My new shop should have a reall roof by next week to keep out the rain. I hoping this will let me get more forge time as I'll be able to work in inclement weather and I should have less set up/shut down work since I wont have to drag everything back and forth to the shed.
The dimensions are 12x16 8 ft high in the back and 10 in the front
smithy_framed2.jpgsmithy_framed1.jpg

Ondura is asphalt based and needs LOTS of support... I have Ondura for a firewood drying rack and it needs the extra support boards.... also its heavier and not any cheaper (at least where I am...)

Thanks Moose, thats jsut the kinda input I needed, I figured it'd be heavier and as I'm trying to keep things as light as possible up there I'll pro'ly end up with metal and I think I can get it long enough to not have to have a horizontal seam.

I'd get some angle bracing up first before the winds pick up! My first shop building is roofed with pro-panel sheet steel. The coal forge shop I'm working on will be pro-panel too---but hail damaged stuff that was a friend's tear-off I think a forge will do OK with a "hammered look" to it.

And that counts as a bad forge day exactly how?

Go with tin on the roof, the other stuff is also kind of fragile if you ever have to walk on it or a limb falls on it. Unless I'm thinking of something else. The local Home Depot has the same (looking) stuff and a display piece has a corner broken where someone just snapped it off.

On the other hand if you use Ondura you can put a clear Lexan panel in for a skylight over your layout and assembly area.

More support and angle bracing is definitely in order as well. A couple windows will be nice but it's easy to put too many in. Light is only part of it, cross ventilation is important, very important.

Good for you all round.

Frosty

And that counts as a bad forge day exactly how?

Go with tin on the roof, the other stuff is also kind of fragile if you ever have to walk on it or a limb falls on it. Unless I'm thinking of something else. The local Home Depot has the same (looking) stuff and a display piece has a corner broken where someone just snapped it off.

On the other hand if you use Ondura you can put a clear Lexan panel in for a skylight over your layout and assembly area.

More support and angle bracing is definitely in order as well. A couple windows will be nice but it's easy to put too many in. Light is only part of it, cross ventilation is important, very important.

Good for you all round.

Frosty

LOL yeah, when I went to HD to check the stuff out I saw all the Ondura was all busted and cracked... I just hate messing around with the ole standing seam(I always cut myself bad atleast once a job). I definately have plans for bracing before roofing(It staked out with guylines at the moment) but with having to put some new fence around the garden to keep the critters out and parts for the dishwasher so the wife doesnt put me out in the new shop to live I just couldnt swing the extra bucks for the additional material this week...but C"MON PAYDAY!!! My other thought was just gonna use corrugated as the I could put in some fiberglass skylights, but it ended up being just as expensive so I think standing seam it is. As far as the sides got its only gonna have 1 side for the present(for storage purposes) and tarps/canvas will make the remainder of the walls if needed. We're usually pretty lucky the climate is mild here and we dont get that much snow and very rarely any hail and I dont mind working in the cold and out here all locks do is cause you to have a busted door/window.

I don't much like standing seam metal myself. We used Norclad or Norco or something like that, it's "like" corrugated but not. It has raised ribs about 1" wide every 12" and goes together like corrugated.

I stack a dozen sheets and predrill the top of the lap and the mid runs all at once.

Take a tape with you if you think corrugated clear panels will match up with corrugated metal panels. They don't even make ripple board to put the two together.

If there are matching clear panels out there they're probably proprietary and more spendy no doubt. :mad:

Frosty

I'll have to check into that stuff... HD has some stuff that sounds to be similar to what yer talking about but it is quite spendy at almost 50$ for a 12' by 2 1/2 foot piece. I think the high cost cos its painted(the only way it comes) and Im stuck using the hardware store type places as none of the roofing center want to deal with a guy that only needs a few sheets...

Thomas,
where did you get the propanel? the only place i found it is bar c roofing supply in santa fe, and frankly thats jsut too far a drive from Maryland for roofing

Stuff's endemic out this way, half the houses in the neighborhood have it as the heat and the excessive UV and the temperature cycles eat regular roofing.

They sell it at the local roofing supply stores and you can do deals for hail damaged roofing with the crews----a couple of years ago we had baseball sized hail come through town and pretty much every roof and every car in the entire town was totalled and had to be replaced---you ever see hail go *through* a car body? Turns out those polymer car panels are not that tough against 90 mph baseball sized hail---a friend's Saturn was a seive.

Thomas

Big hail isn't the only thing a Saturn doesn't stand up to very well. :(

Then again the Bronco didn't fare so well either.

Back on topic. Roofing and siding steel is so common here abouts, you can have it delivered cheaper than picking it up at Home Depot. has to be more than a couple sheets of course. Still.

Frosty

6185.attach

6186.attach

6187.attach

Frosty ,is That Your New Shop Behind The Bronco?
Looks Good .

Yes sir. 30' x 40' x 14' eaves, steel post and beam.

I actually did some metal working in it yesterday and will be going out in a few minutes to resume.

I'm currently building a new Variable Volume propane forge, similar to what Ralph Sproul builds.

We have an event coming up in june I'd like to have the new forge ready by then. Who knows I might sell a couple and be able to afford insulation and wiring in the shop. Light . . . Mmmmmmm.

Frosty

For anyone in the area there is a place in PA, can't remember the town, called AB Martin, they manufacture metal roofing right there and have the best prices, great to deal with and very honest, you can buy what they call seconds and they look no different than the new, atmost maybe some water stains, if they get a roll of steal that is damaged, they get a discount on itbut when it goes through the machine it straitens it out and you never know but they pass that discount onto the customer and call those seconds.
It was about a 2 hour drive for me from S. Jersey and even with the cost of fuel and tolls I still saved around $150 on it verses what it would have cost me locally, plus it is a better and heavyier roofing, of coarse fuel wasn't $3.50 a gallon then either, but it may be worth looking into since you are in MD it may not be too far from you.
They will make any length you want it also, unless your buying 2nds, then you get what they have.
They are either Amish or Menonites (I forget) which I think is what makes them so good to deal with, and honest.

welder19

Oh my, atleast I can say 1 good thing about living in Maryland, I've never seen hail like that... btw Frosty thats a nice lookin shop, might be worth a trip to AK to see.

Alaska it's self is worth the trip, I'd be living there if it were not for a stuborn other half.
I'll 2nd you on the weather in these parts though, we really don't get the extreme storms and such like a lot of you in other parts of the country, but all places have their pro's and con's.

welder19

Mark, anyone really is welcome to visit.

We'll give you the insider treatment setting up tours or whatever you want to see or do. We're pretty much centrally located so make a good base camp and we're NOT in the big (go ahead laugh) city.

There is an event coming up this June 28th. Called Art of Fire, put on by the Valley Arts Council. We'll have a table/booth or something there representing the club. The big draw however will be an iron pour.

In 2010 there will be a Shindig at my place dates unestablished as yet. The Shindigs started out in 06 as an outgrowth of the Artmetal Sandbox Email list. One of the gang decided we'd talked about getting together "someday" (ethereal wistfull tone of voice implied) and set a date and place. The first Shindig was a smashing success and we've held them yearly since. The 08 dig is in NC with 09 still up in the air.

So, there you have two darned good excuses to visit AK. Not that a person really needs an excuse, AK is a fine place to visit, summer or winter. You can stay in a modern city and be half an hour's drive from wilderness privation if you so desire.

Anyway, come visit and play in the shop. Explore old mining towns, go white water rafting, fishing, flightsee America's tallest mountain or just walk in the woods.

Everybody's welcome.

Frosty

Thanks for the tip welder, They're in Ephrata Pa, which happens to where the only Sonic (my favorite fast food restuarant) north of southern VA is, and I jsut looked at theyre specials and found i can probably roof my shop for about $30, lots better than the 300 I was gonna have to shell out to the evil orange empire(home depot) lol. Thanks