I Forge Iron

Early 1900s or earlier forge

Probably a clinker breaker. Little hard to tell in the photo. 

It probably wouldn't be hard to fab up some 2" black pipe into a T to mount to the bottom of the fire pot, or same effort to get the original hooked back up. 

Greetings Davis,

What you have is a Champion Wirlwind fire pot . The clinker beaker is an odd shaped ball arrangement with fingers that stick up through the slots. Not so easy to make.. I have a few but no pictures at this time.

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

12 minutes ago, Jim Coke said:

Greetings Davis,

What you have is a Champion Wirlwind fire pot . The clinker beaker is an odd shaped ball arrangement with fingers that stick up through the slots. Not so easy to make.. I have a few but no pictures at this time.

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Just looked it up and I think your 100% right

I have always used acetylene. But as I said, your mileage may very.

Ash, water, heat, time... if those suckers are broken off flush the boy is going to have to get radical, lol.

If your a competent machinist, a file to clean up and flatten the broken bolt and delineate the hole, a perfectly centered punch and drilling out to just under tap size and retap works to. Some how I doubt a screw extractor will work. 

Heating th casting to red may work by converting the rust to scale but who knows.

Das is right, tho. The method with the least likelyhood of destructive failer is a good idea

You need to be good with a cutting torch to cut out a bolt without damaging the female threads taking a nut off a bolt is good practice but a lot easier. 

Another good method for breaking rusty components loose from each other is warm them up and soak them in water. Water made the rust, it's water soluble water will break the bonds. Warming up the rusted components and I do mean WARM fresh coffee MAX aids in capillary penetration and the expansion contraction of the thermal cycle crushes the rust bond. 

It's the least destructive method I know of, safer than wrenching by far.

Frosty The Lucky.

Plain steel bolts, any plating is potentially dangerous. You can remove galvy in a vinegar bath over night. Rinse, neutralize with baking soda, rinse again and it's clean bare steel and safe in the fire. 

Frosty The Lucky.