I Forge Iron

New to Blacksmithin

Well... That depends. I would assume the solid fire would be easier to maintain, plus blowing the bellows gives undying satisfaction.

Do you know where I could get a solid fuel forge? Or I've seen how simple they can be, I assume I could just build one.

Go to IForgeIron.com > Getting Started.

IForgeIron.com > Lessons in Metalworking > Blacksmithing.

Both links will provide you with information on building forges. Irnsrgn is right, tie a rope to your foot before clicking on Blueprints. (grin)

Well... That depends. I would assume the solid fire would be easier to maintain, plus blowing the bellows gives undying satisfaction.

Do you know where I could get a solid fuel forge? Or I've seen how simple they can be, I assume I could just build one.

easyest fire is propane ...once its going you dont need to do much with it ...where in arizona are you? there is a arizona chapter of abana.... there are a few smiths around here ..If your close to apache junction stop by sometime.... Ime setup in the superstition mountian museum and am there tues - sat 10-4 for another month or so then I head north to (relitively) cooler climate..

Heres how i built my forge coal forge construction *UNDER CONSTRUCTION* I got less than 50 $$ wrapped up in it including firebrick and 200# of coal

I would like to second the suggestion that you look up the local ABANA chapter. Meetings are free and open and will really speed up your learning as well as let you see other set-ups and how other folks do stuff and give you a place to ask where to find stuff locally.

Blacksmithing Organization Web Sites : Blacksmith Group Locations is a good place to start to look for one.

I'm sorry you missed the AZ/NM Hammer-In in Feb, (I missed it too as I brought my forge to the SCA's Estrella War near Florence Junction AZ).

Braghtworst,
I started out with a brake drum forge. I paid $80.00 to get a stand built at a welding shop, because, at the time, we didn't own a welder. I got the brake drum from a junk yard for nothing. I used my brake drum forge for over a year at an average of 8 hours a week, and I could burn just about any size steel you could put in it. ;) It is still highly serviceable. You can usually get scrap steel from a steel yard for very little cost, and if you have a welder, you could build a brake drum forge for under $40.00. I prefer coal to propane because of the traditional aspect. I also like turning the blower; electric blowers aren't for me. Good luck.

The kidsmith,
Dave Custer
"It's not the fact that you're dead that counts but only how did you die."
WELCOME TO CUSTER FAMILY FARM!

I was thinking of just making a forge/kiln out of an igloo-style brick creation mounted on layers of cynderblock. Do you think that will work well? Though that's only by comparison... I'm not looking to do professional work, I just want to make some metal hot and pound on it. From that armature perspective, my search criteria wideness considerably.

Is there some state-wide blacksmith second-hand trade store chain? Besides the kiln, I need a good hammer, anvil and tongs to get started, and I have no idea where to look. I was thinking a horseshoeing depot; they use blacksmith tools a lot.

Braghtworst,
I started out with a brake drum forge. I paid $80.00 to get a stand built at a welding shop, because, at the time, we didn't own a welder. I got the brake drum from a junk yard for nothing. I used my brake drum forge for over a year at an average of 8 hours a week, and I could burn just about any size steel you could put in it. ;) It is still highly serviceable. You can usually get scrap steel from a steel yard for very little cost, and if you have a welder, you could build a brake drum forge for under $40.00. I prefer coal to propane because of the traditional aspect. I also like turning the blower; electric blowers aren't for me. Good luck.

The kidsmith, Dave Custer

I've heard of people using simple frying pans and filling it with a special kind of cement, and having an 'open casket' (or whatever you call it) forge. I've seen lots of stuff like that on Youtube, and they can make good steel red-hot.

Thanks for all the help everyone! It's great to have experienced advice.

I built mine from the bottom of a steel barrel. Lined the bottom with clay and made the box with fire brick. I made my own tuyere from threaded pipe and fabricated a counter weight ash dump onthe bottom. I have about $18 in it. I already had the stock for the stand, etc..

The forge I'm using right now is the center from an old chopper box wheel with a two inch strip of 1/8 inch steel wrapped around it. A few pieces of cast off plumbing and a hand cranked blower. Works great.
Finnr