I Forge Iron

Good height for a forge?

eyrian

I was about to cut the legs for my forge today, but then it occurred to me: I have no idea how tall it should be. Centaur Forge lists their coal forges as 31" tall, but that seems a little low to me (I'm about 6' even). About how high should my forge be (to the top of the firepot)?

while making your forge and anvil the same height is useful, I like my forge to be higher up than my anvil; about the height of a cooking counter, maybe a bit shorter. The height of my forge is just right, so that I'm very comfortable and there's no heat in my face.

I would have to say just around waist level as well.I don't recall the exact height of mine without measuring. But it is probably around 38" from ground to forge table as the is my inseam. Finding a height that is comfortable to you is the important part I do not believe there is a standard height.
A.S.T.

The height should be what works best *FOR* *YOU*! There is *NO* set height that is best!

it depends on how your body is configured, what kind of work you do and how much of it, etc. If you're burning off your beard lowering it might be a good idea. If you are bending over it too much, raising it might be a good idea.

I'd rather have a support stand than use the forge as a support due to the possibility of getting the "holding end" hot without realizing it.

To set the forge and anvil height to your personal size try this. Set your anvil height so your knuckles (making a fist) just touch the top of the anvil when standing beside it with your arms straight down. Do the same for forge height but add 3 inches. That is what I did and I find both very comfortable to work at.

I'm seeing more and more guys putting their propane forges at eye level or close. I've noticed you take less heat from it and it's easier to watch the iron and the flame.

For solid fuel you'd want it lower but it's going to be a matter of personal preference for the most part.

Frosty