I Forge Iron

aquiring borax.

I think you'll find there aren't generally blacksmith supply stores in anyone neck of the woods. Borax is fairly easy. Look around the laundry detergents in the local grocery store.

Coal I don't know anything about, but if you don't have your forge built/found/purchased already you might consider going with propane. It's cleaner, usually easier to find and if your just learning takes less time to learn how to tend the fire.

Hephaestus
Go to the top of the forum page and click on user cp
click on edit profile
Go to the bottom of the page, enter your location, and save.

We would like to know where in the world your located.
This way it puts it on every post.

Hephaestus,

If you live in Canada you can buy smithing coal through Home Hardware. Check out Thak the Blacksmith &Armourer and get in touch with Robb and Angie. They will help you get started. If you're looking for Borax, got to the laundry section of WalMart or Canadian tire. Check out Ontario Artist Blacksmith Association in their links section for additional resources.

West Virginia is the only state in the Union to have acquired its sovereignty by proclamation of the President of the United States. The northern panhandle of the state extends further north than Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and the southern boundary falls south of Richmond, Virginia. Eastern boundaries go almost as far east as Washington DC and almost as far westward as Columbus Ohio.

Big Chimney does exist, Latitude 38

eh, thank ya much for the info everyone. it's gonna help a lot. my homemade forge at the moment is a car wheel on a decapitated stool with an old blower from a garage hooked up to it, so coal seems the way to go. i have a lot of junk in the yard, and im cheap, so i think i'll definitely go the coal route. also, i'll update my info pronto.

You can purchase anhydrous borax from this location.
Mark's Forge

Anhydrous is nicer to work with. They have removed most of the water so it does not bubble, but flows like honey instead.
It stays on the steel and does not get into the air as much either.

I have a ton of metallurgical coke sitting on the basketball court, that you can have. A bit of a drive I must admit:o:D
Anyone in my area that is interested in the coke, give me a holler.

Fred

You can purchase anhydrous borax from this location.
Mark's Forge

Anhydrous is nicer to work with. They have removed most of the water so it does not bubble, but flows like honey instead.
It stays on the steel and does not get into the air as much either.

I have a ton of metallurgical coke sitting on the basketball court, that you can have. A bit of a drive I must admit:o:D
Anyone in my area that is interested in the coke, give me a holler.

Fred

Just buy it from walmart. Take it home and put it in an old coffee can. Then set the can ontop of hot coals in the bbq grill. The next day smash the hardend borax back into powder.

It is ok to spend your money at the local walmart, if you are so inclined. Personally, I like to support the many small businesses that make up the knifemaking community.
Also, I don't know what type of binders are added to borax in order to use it as a laundry detergent. I'll take mine in the purest form I can get.
Adding another variable to forge welding is something I try to avoid.

Fred

20 Mule Team Borax is NOT a detergent. It is a laundry additive and is pure (hydrated) borax so it is as pure as you can get without going USP which is sold at pharmacies at costs several times per ounce as you pay per pound with 20 Mule Team. So Fred you can stop buying the USP stuff and pick up borax at any of the little stores in your town that may carry it.

Anhydrous does work a bit better; but is no purer.

Anhydrous is a totally different product to use than is the hydrated borax.
I have used both. One sticks and flows when applied to hot steel. The other curls up, falls off and blows around the room creating its own snow storm.
At 2.50 a pound for anhydrous borax, I think I will forgo the heating and crushing process, and just put the flux to use when it arrives at my shop.

Fred