I Forge Iron

The Ghost Dog

templehound

Some kind of ancient warriors belt knife, ....from whatever culture.

Blade is 205 mm long and ground from 1.2442 (115W8), bolsters made from mild steel and the scales are rams horn pinned with sterling.

Overall length measures 305 mm

so because its a warriors knife I wanted the sheath as martial as possible.

I armored buffalo raw hide with steel and riveted it togehther with copper.All steel parts are counter riveted from the inside.The  two massive liners are made from a single water buffalo horn which had a natural radius that allowed following the blade shape.The throat is also reinforced with buffalo horn bands......at the end it consists of 177 worked parts .

Cheers

Gh2,k..jpg

GH22,k..jpg

GH29,k..jpg

GH23,k..jpg

GH25,k..jpg

GH27,k..jpg

Gh24,k..jpg

GH33,k..jpg

GH26,k..jpg

Gh3,k..jpg

GH28,k..jpg

Was back looking at your blade once more.. Again beautiful work. The profile, bolsters, the butt of the handle, I really like it all.

I'm curious though how you colored the bolsters?? I've tried heat coloring, but never got anything like that.. Was it chemical? Or heat? Or?? Please advise..

Also not seeing any pins? Are they blind? Or did you weld them on?

Justin

That’s a beautiful piece of work. Seems like a bit of a departure from your usual simplicity, but you’ve done an amazing job of incorporating tremendous complexity within a design of enormous sophistication. Once again, my hat is off to you!

Thanks for the fine comments,Guys!:)

GH34,k..jpg

GH31,k..jpg

GH32,k..jpg

On 2.5.2018 at 6:34 AM, Justin Carnecchia said:

Was back looking at your blade once more.. Again beautiful work. The profile, bolsters, the butt of the handle, I really like it all.

I'm curious though how you colored the bolsters?? I've tried heat coloring, but never got anything like that.. Was it chemical? Or heat? Or?? Please advise..

Also not seeing any pins? Are they blind? Or did you weld them on?

Justin

I colored with gun blue from Birchwood and Casey.after some time the blue fades and changes in antique grey like its now.

the bolsters are pinned with 3mm pins.normally I take 3 pins and press them in a vise.

cheers