I Forge Iron

Fisher anvil- not the anvil of my dreams

This anvil did not turn out to be the anvil of my dreams.
The anvil of my dreams has been sitting under an oiled canvas for 100 years, waiting to be discovered by me at a country flea market for 20 bucks.

I almost passed this one up, but decided in the end to give it a home.
The story is it was used at the railroad yards in Huntington W.V.
You can tell by the wear, that it was used to do something repetitive. Most of the edge wear is forward of the hardy hole, but Seventy percent of the edge is still good.
The horn is in excellent condition. The flat working area is perfectly true and measures 19" X 5"
The rebound using a three lb hammer was very nice and as I was informed had no ring to it. I like that feature.
As you can see it is marked 300 and I assume that is correct.
This big Fisher anvil measures 31 inches tip to tip.

I am currently moving a few items in the shop to make a bit more room.

I put the oil container on top for size comparison.:D

If they could do no real damage to this anvil after 100 years at a RXR yard I know it will serve me well.

I can't wait to put it to use, Fred

5994.attach

5995.attach

5996.attach

Whilst perhaps not the anvil of your dreams, its also not the anvil of a nightmare. Anvils have become so sort after and rare that they have begun to assume an almost mythical status. Enjoy the piece and bang away to your heart`s content.
Kevan

nice find have fun with it make something cool show us all

but i dont like the lack of a ring in the anvil
ithink and some one can correct me if iam wrong but i think the lack of a ring says it is cracked

so check it for cracks and other things be carefull and have fun
and its a steel at $20.00 nice find

Is this the anvil you paid just under $2 a lb for, and had to drive 2 1/2 hours for?

Yes it is. I paid just under 2.00 a pound. The two hour drive through the hills of West Virginia was great also.
My dream anvil would be the 20 dollar one. :D This one set me back a few dollars more than that.

Fred

I had been eyeballing an anvil thats been in a local swapper paper for months. I had called about it back in feb and thought it was a little bigger than what I was wanting to buy.....the price was ok, but not such a deal that I couldnt pass it up. I decided this week I'd call back on the anvil and check it out....almost made up my mind that it was mine. the same day (before I could call.....wasnt sure about how early to call about it.....figure to wait at least until 9am) I logged onto IFI and what did I see? Fred Rowe asking about an anvil that EXACTLY matched the description of the one I'd been considering. so I PM'd fred and it was the same one.....I didnt bother calling on the anvil after all. went to a hammer in yesterday,....no anvils there......flea market this morning? nothing but a couple pairs of tongs....asked if he had any anvils?? nope so I walked off. the guy with the tongs had been talking with another guy.......the second guy came over after a couple minutes and said he had an anvil at home he'd sell.....all he knew was it was heavy (and that he'd heard they sell for $5 a lb) but since I had a blacksmithing shirt on he'd help me get started.....300 bucks. my wife and I followed him to his house about 10 miles away.....wandered up into the woods to look at it where it was sitting outside. it was a 204lb Hay-Budden, didnt try to bargain with him, the face and horn were almost perfect!! looks to be perfectly flat. counted out the money and loaded it right then. (my back is still yelling at me about that)

so, I'm glad Fred beat me to the anvil. I had mine just waiting on me to find it :D

First off, congratulations Fred, Rob you both done good. We don't see those kinds of deals around here very often.

Secondly, we all took a vote and you were elected as the one we'd confuse this month, Hammerkid. :rolleyes:

It's all part of your training, once you can operate in a state of constant confusion you'll be . . . Uh, what was I saying?

Oh yeah that's right, forgetting what little bit didn't confuse you. :o

Frosty

First off, congratulations Fred, Rob you both done good. We don't see those kinds of deals around here very often.

Secondly, we all took a vote and you were elected as the one we'd confuse this month, Hammerkid.

It's all part of your training, once you can operate in a state of constant confusion you'll be . . . Uh, what was I saying?

Oh yeah that's right, forgetting what little bit didn't confuse you.

Frosty

LOL . Well what confused me was Fred talked about 2 differnet FISHER anvils in 2 DIFFERENT Threads LOL:p:confused::o:rolleyes:

I should be banned for posting, analogies and metaphors. Sorry about the confusion.

Fred

No, no, NO! You did just fine Fred.

It improves a person's reading comprehension to have to figure out what someone is saying, especially when it seems everyone else gets it.

I mean seriously, without analogy, metaphor, allegory and the like, all we're left with is the emoticon. :o

Frosty