I Forge Iron

Hey guys I've been reading the forum as a guest for a while and decided to finally join. I'm pretty new to smithing, I've done a fair bit of research but I have maybe 10 hours of actual smithing time under my belt. My current setup consists of a cast iron bowl filled with clay soil and a shop vac for air, a small harbor freight anvil on a stump, a cross peen hammer, a ball peen hammer, and some channel locks for tongs. I have a ton of scrap metal to play with. I have been using charcoal but I just got some coal locally I've gotten to fire up recently. 

The recent coal firing has tought me I need a better forge so I think I'm going to build a better(hopefully) jabod soon that won't self destruct in one firing. 

Here's a few pictures of my setup by the way

20180425_194736.jpg

20180423_135444.jpg

20180423_135439.jpg

20180423_132823.jpg

20180423_132818.jpg

That would be awesome! I'm definitely wanting to join saltfork the discount on coal alone would be great plus the meetups would be neat. What would a youngin like myself bribe you with lol I'm a hard worker if you have any work needing done.

By the way it was your post that got me started finally. I didn't think I could until I saw how simple your jabod forge was. I didn't realize you were a fellow Okie. 

If you hang a right at dibble and a left at Lindsay you will, if you don’t blink find Bradley. 

Wont take much, be safe, have fun and pass on what you learn. 

I think we need to consider some kind of over head cover or a mobile forge. A ground forge isn’t horrible if you dig about a 16”-24” hole (steps and a but board work real well) to stand in or set with your legs in the hole, but tend to become garden pounds in Oklahoma this time of year. Not being used to squatting it’s much more confortable. But if you open up your mind lots of things become potential forges. 

Scrap wood, a saw and a hammer, an old dresser drawer or an old apple crate. A fake washtub Walmart sells for wannabe rednecks to ice down their beer, a 55 gallon drum,  an old oil pan etc. a coffee table and a pile of bricks (or just mud pies) a big planter, defunked bq grill. Old tool cart etc. we will figure out somthing. 

After we get your forge sorted w will discuss your door stop posing as an anvil.

I have saterday free to forge, I'll take a look around I betcha I have something to work better as a forge. Being on a farm and working construction I get plenty of materials to mess around with I'll report back with what I find tommarow, maybe i can convince the wife to let me atleast build a roof to forge under as well lol. As for the door stop it's not staying long I'll get a I beam rounded up sooner than I use that sucker it already fell on my toe once thank God for steel toe boots lol.

Thanks for the heads up you saved me from grinding the rust off and trying to fabricate a stand, the bad news is I drug about 70lbs of i beam about 100 yards for nothing lol i guess I'll find something for it to do, maybe i can get some nails into my stump to hold the door stop for now. I'll take a look and good luck with your buddies car. 

I think the Transmition pump exploded. 

Things you might already have...

sledgehammer head (10-20#) splitting maul, steel tractor weight (not cast iron) these all work, things you can find, large drops from machine and fab shops, large pins from excavators and bull dozers (dozers are made from anvils). 

10 hours ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

I think the Transmition pump exploded. 

Things you might already have...

sledgehammer head (10-20#) splitting maul, steel tractor weight (not cast iron) these all work, things you can find, large drops from machine and fab shops, large pins from excavators and bull dozers (dozers are made from anvils). 

Dang that's not a fun one to fix, I'll check around I should atleast have a sledge

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

I've seen a number of forges built in discarded gas grills.  It can be nice to have a lid you can close on it in rainy or fire season...

I think my father-in-law has an old propane grill i could swipe

9 hours ago, JHCC said:

Hang onto the I-beam; there's a lot of stuff you can make from it. For example, an anvil stand.

That's the plan I think if I can think of a good way to mount my anvil

5 hours ago, Horacekincannon said:

What part of Oklahoma are you from I would be happy to help you.

Yep Washington , it's actually Cole but most people recognize Washington better.

Anyone know if it's possible to pay dues for saltfork in person? I hate dealing with the post office.

Also although further ado here's some pics of what i got accomplished. 

20180430_190626.jpg

20180430_190632.jpg

20180430_191250.jpg

20180430_191320.jpg

That's a beast of a piece of I beam. If you build an anvil stand like John's with it I definitely want to see the pictures! However if you just want to use it for a stand I'd just stand it on end and put the anvil where the web and flange meets. Maybe use the rest for a table vise, etc. stand. Even that heavy the flange will flex under the hammer if you use it as shown in the picture.

Frosty The Lucky.

25 minutes ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

Might consider a pile of dirt to bank charcoal against. And other than keeping rain out of the forge the tub on top isn’t necisary

What do you mean by dirt to bank against? Also the top portion is removable mainly for rain and wind protection

18 minutes ago, Frosty said:

That's a beast of a piece of I beam. If you build an anvil stand like John's with it I definitely want to see the pictures! However if you just want to use it for a stand I'd just stand it on end and put the anvil where the web and flange meets. Maybe use the rest for a table vise, etc. stand. Even that heavy the flange will flex under the hammer if you use it as shown in the picture.

Frosty The Lucky.

Any ideas how to connect it up there? I considered welding it but my welding is still pretty iffy

Just now, Davishomesteadandforge said:

Any ideas how to connect it up there? I considered welding it but my welding is still pretty iffy

Have a hand drill? Scrounge some angle iron in the 2" x 2" or larger range. Cut two pieces a couple inches longer then your anvil. Drill  4 matching 3/8" or larger (but don't get carried away, 1/2" is plenty of overkill) holes through both pieces. Clamp one flange out flush top edge of the I beam where you'd like your anvil and drill the I beam using the angle iron as a drill guide.

Bolt both pieces of angle iron to the I beam and put your anvil on it. Mark where you want bolt holes so you can clamp the anvil down. Drill the holes and using chain, bent strap stock, etc. bolt it to the anvil stand.

Make sense?

Frosty The Lucky.