I Forge Iron

What does it weigh?

If that is the last number for the hundred weight stamp it can't be 43, since the last number only would go up to 27. 

I almost thing I see 1.1.3 so around 143lbs? Without a name stamp or someone by miracle recognizing something specific about it to another example that has the name stamp you are pretty much out of luck " knowing" who made it. It looks like an old one tho. And a usable anvil if it's got decient rebound. 

Welcome to IFI, I always suggest reading this thread to get the best out of the forum.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/53873-read-this-first/

As far as ID on your anvil, a wire wheel on an angle grinder may bring out some marking's that will help the members who have more knowledge than I about them. Please do not use a grinder on it.

If it is a Mousehole, it's a very early one. I don't know if MH made anvils without a step or with that swelling in the middle of the sides of the base, but The Mousehole Forge by Richard Postman would have the documentation if they did.

In the CWT weight systems used for old english anvils:  L  M  (R)R,   the leftmost digit is Hundredweights which was 112 pounds so Lx112; the middle was quarter hundred weights, 28 pounds and can only be 0-3  => Mx28 and the rightmost digit(s) are residual pounds and so must be 0-27 Add them all up and you should be within 10 pounds of what it weighs on a bathroom scale.

You are unlikely to determine a maker on an anvil that old, but the weight would be hidden in the two numbers to the left of that three.  Still, a scale is a lot quicker and more accurate.  Either way, it’s just awesome, in my opinion, to get a relic like that back into action.  As long as it hasn’t been in a fairy and lost it’s temper it should be a perfectly workable tool.  If it is soft, and you love it for its historic value, then perhaps you will want to baby it.  But use it no matter what if for no other reason than to honor the many who have used it before you.

Dont bother grinding or otherwise reworking the face of it.  As Thomas says (I’m paraphrasing), those flaws on the face and edges can become assets to your forging once you get used to the various places on the anvil.

Lou

I think Lou's original tells a MUCH better story. There ARE carnivorous fairies aren't there? Maybe a fairy constrictor?

I better stop this line of thinking I could get myself in trouble with Admin. 

Frosty The Lucky.

4 hours ago, JHCC said:

I think Lou means "in a fire and lost its temper", but I could be wrong.

This iPad autocorrect along with the new weird keyboard brings me endless trouble and frustration.  Finally, though, it has brought me joy.

Since Peter Pan started blacksmithing, Tinkerbell has never been the same.....

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2018 at 11:41 PM, ThomasPowers said:

In the CWT weight systems used for old english anvils:  L  M  (R)R,   the leftmost digit is Hundredweights which was 112 pounds so Lx112; the middle was quarter hundred weights, 28 pounds and can only be 0-3  => Mx28 and the rightmost digit(s) are residual pounds and so must be 0-27 Add them all up and you should be within 10 pounds of what it weighs on a bathroom scale.

It weighs about 152 lbs. Does that help.

59 minutes ago, Flawed G Dogma said:

It weighs about 152 lbs. Does that help.

Well it's either just a 3 with a mark in front of it making their calculation at 143lbs. Or it's an offset porky stamped 2 in front of the 3 making it at 163lbs.  Doesn't look like a 1 to me and they are often off from the stamped weight. Like Thomas said around 10lbs. 

17 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Well it's either just a 3 with a mark in front of it making their calculation at 143lbs. Or it's an offset porky stamped 2 in front of the 3 making it at 163lbs.  Doesn't look like a 1 to me and they are often off from the stamped weight. Like Thomas said around 10lbs. 

Any idea on its age?

3 hours ago, tanglediver said:

I'm guessing it pre-dates 1800.

I was told most likely pre-1780? Thoughts?

On 5/8/2018 at 7:22 AM, Flawed G Dogma said:

Any idea on its age?  I was told most likely pre-1780? Thoughts?

Hmmm. It's as old as the U.S.

George Washington's sword could have been forged on that anvil, or Benjamin Franklin's kite key, or maybe even Nicolas Cage's colored glasses. It's about that old. :huh:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Well, I have a very similar shape anvil, it's massive though,

Horn 11" x 4"
Face 16 1/2" x 6 1/2"
Height 13 3/4"

Mine has no markings on it at all
All I've ever found is a similar one by SC Foster, (or his son William foster) pre 1780 as it has no table, no pritchel hole, and I bet that hardie hole is stamped into it at a later date and not very square, Mine is stamped through the side. The number, if it is 43 (tbh though it just looks like a very clear mark next to the 3), maybe the date and not the weight.

20190605_154837.jpg