I Forge Iron

New to me Peter Wright anvil

I want to show my new anvil.  Posted on eBay, just 60 miles from me.  If my math is correct it weight 169/170 pounds.  I paid 405 and 120 miles round trip.  Two questions for the experts, photo one shows two crosses under the horn, any significance?  There is also a V on the bottom of picture three under the Peter Wright stamp.  What does that mean?  I don't see any other markings to identify age.

Thanks,

Duane

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Can you read us the weight stamp?  To me it looks like 1 2 15?   which would be 112 + 56 +15 of course it's small enough to go on a bathroom scale!

Stamps: remember that anyone in the last 100+ years can stamp their mark on an anvil; random letters sometimes indicate the crew that forged it or the inspector who passed it or...

The face looks *beautiful* please do nothing but pound on hot steel on it!

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

Stamps: remember that anyone in the last 100+ years can stamp their mark on an anvil; random letters sometimes indicate the crew that forged it or the inspector who passed it or...

That's a great idea Thomas. I'm going to stamp my name into the rear foot of my anvils so one day someone will ask about some goofy name on an anvil. ;)  not to mention make some weird one purpose tools for someone to ask " what is this" muahahaha. 

Btw. Nice anvil Duanan. It should serve you and your grandchildren well. 

Go for it. I don't ever " plan " to give mine up while I'm alive but Ya Never know. A sweet deal might come around on a 200-250lb German pattern anvil. But still, stamping my name in the rear foot won't hurt a user anvils value. 

I like the idea Das, I think I'll do the same. Future generations can wonder about the Soderfors with the Frosty the Snowman stamp. I like the strange tool thingy too. We have a little hammer in coming up next Saturday, might be the time for it.

Frosty The Lucky.

10 hours ago, Frosty said:

. I like the strange tool thingy too. We have a little hammer in coming up next Saturday, might be the time for it.

Hmm.. How about tongs with one corkscrew bit and one half round. Won't know if it's for opening a wine bottle or what, and why would you need long tongs to open a bottle.  :)  Could come up with millions of "what is this thing for" tools.