I Forge Iron

Trail cam critters

Daswulf

The saga continues. 

In one picture you can see the dog stealing the food dish. then later he came back for a drink. Time to get creative.

The daylight picture is our cat Sophie. The other cats are ferrals that we feed. Along with some opossums and a raccoon. I'm still waiting for the skunk to make an appearance unless it isn't around any longer. 

Anyone else have some interesting trail cam footage of some critters? 

Man I'd love to see some from Australia with all the neat critters down there. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Das: You DO  know they make food dishes dogs can't pick up. Yes?  The stainless steel ones are pretty thief dog proof. One of ours, Falki, likes to carry the food dishes around for thorough licking after eating. Deb bought a dish for the doxy, Baxter that should slow his eating and it's a plastic version of the ones a dog can't pick up. It works pretty well but the thing in it that keep a dog from wolfing food give Falki something to hold onto.

I believe the dish is a more acceptable idea than waiting up with a rifle. Most places outside towns have a "strays shot on sight" policy. A wrist rocket and coarse sand aimed at it's butt will sting like the dickens but do no damage.

Of course you're running the local critter cafeteria, what's another dog and I bet by now you're getting bulk rate on dog dishes. 

Frosty the Lucky.

We find the dishes in the field or under a few trees. I wouldnt shoot someones pet for just stealing a dish. I like animals too much unless they threaten someone or my pets or are severely hurt and suffering.

It's supposed to be a "cat" food dish lol. I'll figure something out to keep the dog from getting the dish. (possibly a dog dish they can't lift.)

I do like seeing the other critters :) as long as they don't have chicken feathers in their mouth. I have relocated some possums that were in the coop eating chicken food.

Elizabeth swears she heard the dog and Something get into it last night. My guess would be the raccoon. Ooh, I Do have a smaller paintball gun a friend gave me years back. need to get some paintballs and co2 cartages. lol. Oh if I only had time to play.

New idea! I remember how miserable a friend of mine was cleaning up after his dog got into fryer grease.... hmmm....

I feed my dog once a day and make sure he cleans the bowl. No food left overnight. 

About critters around here, Two days ago I called Chewy (my little Spoodle) back, because he run out the back and was chasing something in the bushes. Too many poisonous snakes around to let him wander out alone. The animal he was chasing was making a terrible racket so i went to investigate only to see a monitor lizard well over 3 meters long climbing a tree to get away from the dog. This are the smaller cousin to the Komodo Dragon and I have seen this beast dragging a dead kangaroo 10 times their bodyweight. 

Must get myself a night vision camera and see what I can snap. :)

There is another reason for me to install a camera pointing to the river. Apparently my backyard river houses the Hawkesbury river monster, some ancient reptile with long snake like neck. That would be some picture to have :P

lol That would be some picture Marc. As far as feeding the cats only in the day, I have my own chicken issue with that. Until I get them penned up well enough to not escape, They will come down and eat all the cat food lol. obviously They are the real pigs aside from the dog. The raccoons and opossums getting fed some cat food does keep them away from the chickens tho. it's a big cycle. surprising the poor feral cats get any but they do. One problem I'm happy not to have is a mouse problem.  Surprisingly, the guinea fowl have Never gone on the porch to eat the cat food.

Your Opossum is the same as our Possum? 

The dog was barking at the downpipe overflow box the other day, so I went to investigate and found a big possum sleeping inside it. Since that leads to our drinking water supply I decided to evict him, but wasn't game to pull him out by hand. They can be vicious and this was way bigger than a cat. A bottle of water woke him up and a second spray decided him to leave. This things are as agile as monkeys and he jumped from the box down to the ground two stories below with the dog in hot pursuit. They are real cute though.  

Pretty sure we have different types but same basic Marsupial. They can be agile or clumsy lol I have dealt with both. have had some play dead and I could hold them and let their tail wrap around my gloved fingers and hang, then some that were nasty and would bite and hiss, and they have a powerful bite. I think they are cute and for sure if found young enough would try to have one as a pet.

Marc: What's the chalk drawing  the Hawkesbury river monster is kneeling next too? An Aborigine totem of some sort to drive it off? It doesn't seem to be working!

The one thing that's worry me about visiting down under are all the venomous critters and bugs. I like the people I've met, full of beans and vigor, remind me of old time Alaskans. 

Das, dogs only THINK they want to mess with raccoons till they do. I sure hope the mystery dog has it's shots, raccoons are notorious. I'd like to be able to buy luminous and or retroreflective paint balls to shoot moose with. Nothing ruins a driver's day like hitting a moose they tend to flip over and come in through the windshield hooves first. Unfortunately it almost never kills them quickly if at all and they kick till they die or someone shoots it. 

I'd LOVE to paint out local moose, cow and calves day-glow in hopes they don't take someone out on Vine rd. out front like about a dozen a year now.  By local I'm thinking of the ones that have been bred, born and live out their lives on and around out property. They're familiar enough I walked to the wood shed and back a while ago and momma moose and her last spring's calves just moved about 25' farther till I walked back to the house. The yearlings and two year olds are even less leery yelling or throwing things don't chase them off. I'm thinking paint balls would maybe teach them to keep a healthy distance. We have to keep our dogs on leads so we can reel them in in a hurry if necessary.

Frosty The Lucky.

Ha ha ... I have actually "discovered" a few of those rock drawings representing different creatures and people. It was the old time graffiti. There is a hidden spot next of the Sydney Harbour with this sort of carving on a horizontal face made by what may have been malay that were stranded on a sailboat waiting for repairs. Representing their boat people working on it and some writings.  

The Hawkesbury river "monster" is only documented by some dubious photographs just like Nessie but has the added benefit of being written in the aborigine folclore going back a long time. Who knows!

I can only say that a few times a year we get what is called a mullet run.  A massive number of sea Mullet make their way from the ocean into the river and up the tributaries to spawn, a bit like salmon. They do so at night and many times I have been woken up by massive splashing. Gone out on the jetty and the water was boiling as far as the eye could see both ends of the river with Mullets. What was more impressive was that they would jump out of the water straight up a meter or so in large groups escaping what seemed to be a large predator that was chasing them. We don't get any large enough fish to do that at that speed up here. 

Sounds crazy interesting Marc. always a little truth behind any legend.

Irondragon, Very nice turkeys. I see them all around here but never see any on my property. The other day a flock even flew(glided) over RT 70 here. They were low enough that I ducked but high enough not to get hit. Thankfully. There are almost as many turkey hits as deer hits here. Man are they cool when they strut.

i remember hitting a bush turkey as I was towing a boat. I was going uphill and doing so slowly, not even 60 kph and this thing was flying right next to my truck doing the same speed and just at the side window height. In one of those split second decisions I thought if this thing turns in my path I am not going to hit the brakes with 2 ton boat behind me so took the foot off the pedal and at the same time the turkey turned right in front of the windscreen. Fortunately for me, unfortunately for him, I got him with the corner of the curved glass that is stronger than the center. It flipped him over the car and landed on the side of the road. Because we were both doing the same speed the impact wasn't that great but enough to knock him off. On my way back he was gone. 

What we get a lot of, is ducks. I have to wash their poop off the pontoon all the time. Mainly "Pacific Black" and "Grey Teal" in great numbers. Fortunately their diet is grass and algae so it is easy to wash off. Can't say the same from the occasional Cormoran that stinks like a restaurant's rubbish bin after a week in the summer sun. 

Marc, your possum is a brushie like this one that lives in my smithy. He's got a good grip on that apple core. We leave a bit of food out for it in the hope it might leave our paw paws and mangoes alone.

possum.jpg

As Frosty suggested, a steel bowl should be safe on your porch. Not because the dog can't pick it up, but because dogs, in general, do not like metal in their mouth and won't want to carry it off. Whereas plastic is another story.. My father trained dogs for several decades before he passed away. He told me about most dog's aversion to metal in their mouth and sure enough, our chocolate lab won't ever pick up anything made of metal. She used to carry her plastic food dish off every day and we got tired of hunting for it, and replacing it when she chewed it up.

3 minutes ago, Shady McGrady said:

dogs, in general, do not like metal in their mouth and won't want to carry it off.

Dogs in general, to be sure, but not all dogs. Lola the Pit Bull chewed two light-gauge SS bowls to shreds and still takes a chew at her new heavy-gauge bowl once in a while. Every once in a while, she'll carry it around the family room in an ostentatious manner, to let us know that we need to give her more food.