I Forge Iron

bandsaw blade and pallet straping

A.S.T.

The wood is called epay it is an exotic wood from south americavery hard. It was scrounged from a deck being built.The pins are threaded brass and the handle and tang was tapped then the rod screwed and epoxyed in. The saw blades where about 3/4 " to 1" inch wide.
A.S.T.

• 2 months later...

ATS - can you tel me more about the knife build? I have my first ever billet and actually my first ever forging project going and I think it is turning out pretty well. I took an old lawn mower blade and cut it into 1x3 chunks and sandwiched them with equal size pieces of banding strap.(9 pieces total) I forge welded this all together with 3 folds then let it sit for a couple weeks(sidetracked) I then cut this billet into 3 pieces and sandwiched them between 4 pieces of band saw blade(7 total) welded and folded once. I then drew this out to a 8x1x1/4" billet and I am now working the billet smooth on a belt sander and it looks to have held together pretty well with some decent pattern showing up. I will post pics when I get the knife finished.

My question to you is: When you use the pallet banding and saw blades how hot are you taking the steel? I have a gas forge and it seems my outside layers almost get too hot and want to burn off? I clamp and tack weld both ends of my stack with a mig but dhould I weld a little on the sides too? Wat I an doing seems to be working but I have not finished the knife yet so we will see? Also, how many layers and folds do you have there and did you just fold or did you twist?

Thanks from a newbie - Bob Urban

Jsanders - Check wood shops and metal fabricating shops. My best friend has an fabrication company and they have a ton of old metal cutting saw blades in the junk pile. That is where I do my work. I am sure if you ask for old used blades they would just give them to you - they are worthless for cutting.

Bob Urban

My question to you is: When you use the pallet banding and saw blades how hot are you taking the steel? I have a gas forge and it seems my outside layers almost get too hot and want to burn off? I clamp and tack weld both ends of my stack with a mig but dhould I weld a little on the sides too? Wat I an doing seems to be working but I have not finished the knife yet so we will see? Also, how many layers and folds do you have there and did you just fold or did you twist?

I did not count the layers. I only folded it once. I think that is how it developed shuch varied patterns from side to side. I just mig welded the ends. I welded the billet at a yellow white ( first 2 or 3 sparks and remove from fire) . I also lost some of the outer layers to scale and burning just remove it when finishing blade.
Jsanders the band saw blade i used was from the scrap yard.
A.S.T.

TRIW - I have no clue? I just thought it was tough stuff and really springy so I used it. Also used because it stacks so well and layers grow quick.

The stuff I am using comes from bar joists and steel decking to keep them together while shipping.

Bob Urban

Pallet strapping differs depending on what it was used for---heavy critical loads get stronger strapping than a pallet load of toilet tissue. If you want to be sure it's not dragging the carbon content of the billet down: heat and quench and check that it's brittle!

The idea that folks are going around trying to *buy* what other folks are throwing out on a regular basis seems very odd to me. I generally find mine in the trash outside the University metal and wood shops.

I just wire my BSB&PS billets together, (been doing them for close to 20 years now), as when you weld the ends the other layers tend to spring out when heating as they heat faster and since I am welding in coal or charcoal they oxidize more and can trap junk that falls into them---so welding less might be a better idea than welding more. If you have a lot of trouble with it stick it in a "can" a piece of square tubing that you can seal almost up and weld it away from the hurly burly of the forge interior.