I Forge Iron

Another tool from the Cave Man Forge

Rail anchor clips.  I have recently found that I have a virtually unlimited supply of these so want to find a use for them.  of the rail scrap I can get for free, it is the only thing that has the ability to be hardened.  Not sure of the steel, as I could not find any data sheets on them and have seen people claim them to be 1050,1060 and 1070.   So I treated it like 1050.  It seems like it was harder to forge than the 1060, but I don't know.   there was a bit of effort to straighten them out.   I also found rail anchor clips that instead of a rectangular cross section, are a T cross section.  didn't get any of them as I don't know what I'd do with them.   here is the first hot cut chisel from the Cave Man Forge.  forge86.thumb.jpg.9de23a790f188ab4315e048fdcd13feb.jpg

forge90.jpg

forge91.jpg

Nice looking chisel. Rail anchors are great stuff. I’ve made a few chisels and punches, from them, but the most fun thing so far was a raising hammer for when I was working on a helmet for my son. 

2A4C5945-25CF-4C29-BD99-09D04800E5E5.jpeg

The anchors with the T-shaped cross section can be used for a slightly unusual set of fullers.

6790BAD6-DBAA-4FB9-A942-FE1F7CFB585B.jpeg

Wulf

the HTS app says to use water.  It was hardened in water.  glad I had the bevel mostly shaped with the hammer, it skated the file after hardening.  then used a stone to finish it up.  I don't know how it is holding up, as it is hot off the forge tonight.  It seems rugged.  

IIRC the ampersand like anchors are generally 1040-1060 depending on manufacturer and grade. I'm hunting for my RRsteel file; hope it wasn't on the previous computer and I don't remember having lost it after the concussions,

I do remember that the & like clips are about double the carbon content of a spike and so all the folks saying they have to use spikes to make knives instead of a better grade of steel are generally in error. They should just own up to wanting to make a blade from a low grade of steel for a blade. (And anyone claiming that their RR spike knife is "good" please reference me to someone passing the ABS Journeyman tests with one.)

JHCC - Thanks.   I don't think a raising hammer is in my future, but good to know the clips are good for tools.  they have enough size to be hammer eye drifts, have you done that?  think they would hold up?  Good idea on the T cross sections. I'll grab a couple next time I get by the source.  

ThomasPowers - Thanks Thomas.  It did get quite hard.  

M

8 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

(And anyone claiming that their RR spike knife is "good" please reference me to someone passing the ABS Journeyman tests with one.)

Chandler Dickenson has a video of himself making a spike knife that he claimed passed that test (as performed by himself, not by an official  ABS tester). It’s been a while since I’ve seen it, but I think he did some serious Super Quench on it to get just enough hardness to pass the test. 

The video used to be linked here on IFI, but was removed for unacceptable language.  

8 hours ago, MotoMike said:

they have enough size to be hammer eye drifts, have you done that? 

No, my hammer eye drift is made from an old torsion bar. 

Thanks JHCC - I acquired some 2 inch round stock that I thought I'd make a soft hammer with.  but then I didn't have tongs big enough, so I tried using the tong video from JLP which required splitting a piece of 1x3/8 flat stock and found I didn't have a chisel up to it, so made this one.  I'll be on the lookout for some torsion or sway bars when I next visit the scrap yard.  Seems like every time I turn around I need a new tool.  And I love that.  Wish I was ambidextrous though...

ThomasPowers, thanks for the cautionary warning on spike knives.  I have used them for making ornamental crosses and plan on making some hooks and letter openers with them.  I do want to make knives some day, but so far my skill set is not there and I'd planned on using a better steel when I do.  

ThomasPowers; I hear you.  I live in a railroad town and things such as hooks, crosses, bottle openers, letter openers where you retain the spike head so you know where it came from, have an appeal to the locals.   Not to mention, some gifted smiths have turned out some elegant items from spikes.  I know that the twisted spike knife will always turn up.  they look cool, but are certainly impractical even if they were of high carbon.  

To me they are a "one trick pony" with having been previously a spike being their one trick.  But there is a market for them and I don't have problems with that *UNTIL* folks make claims for how good a knife they are. I consider them to be a shiv.  But this is my opinion; others may differ.

I remember how excited people were to see a camp eating knife I forged from *titanium*!  It got so bad that I took out my San mai belt knife and cut a sliver of Ti of the spine and told them that the blade on my belt knife was made from an old nicholson file...(However the self hilted Ti blade supports being stored dirty for a month and then thrown in the dishwasher for a large number of cycles---or even being boiled...)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/27/2018 at 10:25 PM, Shawn S said:

I work at a steel mill and we make the steel for Railroad clips you have pictured and they are 1060.

Thanks for the info. Does that also apply to FAIR anchors and Pandrol clips?

• 7 months later...
On 3/3/2018 at 12:31 AM, ThomasPowers said:

IIRC the ampersand like anchors are generally 1040-1060 depending on manufacturer and grade. I'm hunting for my RRsteel file; hope it wasn't on the previous computer and I don't remember having lost it after the concussions,

Its in the Blueprints section