I Forge Iron

Salvaging Sandpaper

Dillion Brian Grant

Ok so, me and my dad were cleaning one of our buildings other day and I found an old pack of sandpaper, and he said I could have it if I wanted it. The problem is that I guess since it is so old if you bend it(like maybe around 35 or 45 degrees) or fold it it just breaks at the bend and  I was wondering is there any way to salvage it and is it worth the time and castle to salvage it?

Sounds like paper backed abrasive. You may also try putting it somewhere with some humidity and see if the paper softens up some. But there are a lot of times when I do sanding with the grit up on a table top to keep the part flat. You could also glue it to a flat stick like a paint stirrer with a low tack glue so it was easily changed.

BGD,

Granite works very well. But it may be hard to find for a good price.  Another surface material that works as well, is a slab of marble. Marble is used for table tops.

The table top usually cracks after a while and the owner throws them out. A minority of them offer them up in yard sales, on the remote chance that some "fool" might buy them/it.

You can buy one for almost nothing. (especially near the late afternoon.). The seller does not want to return to garage nor drag them to the garbage can for curb side pickup.

Which makes for a very motivated seller.

Incidentally, leather workers use them as a base for tooling leather. The price of one, at leather supply merchants is expensive. So a garbage or yard sale acquisition is a lovely alternative source.

I remember one seller (+ a few family members) giving me a discrete pitying look after I bought one "prize". I violated my usual reserve demeaner and told them what I use it for.

They still looked puzzled.

Happy hunting Mr. Grant.

Regards, to all on this valentine's day. (may the Saint be with you!).

SLAG.

I was browsing the website of my favorite local industrial surplus warehouse and spotted a final markdown of $49.99 on a granite surfacing plate. Then I noticed that it's 39" x 43" x 6" and weighs over half a ton, and I reconsidered.

Wow worth it just to use as a door step and watch the machinists melt down when they notice it!  (I once picked up a trashed micrometer at a fleamarket for a dollar just to use as a small clamp when machinist friends were due by.  (The bruises have faded with time...now it's part of a steampunk tool belt for cons)

JHCC we got a surface plate from a machine shop auction that is 3'x5'x10" thick for $150 on a nice stand. They come in two versions normally, black and pink granite with the pink being more expensive. For $50 I would snap it up and do some advertising. One that size is nice to have, and could make you some money. It also depends on what grade it is for accuracy. Setting on the floor it would be a nice flat surface to lay out and reference parts on. My partner remarked when he saw ours in person was "Well, we have our headstones covered now"

• 1 month later...