I Forge Iron

PWS /San Mai Razor

bluesman7

Good looking razor. A straight is on my to-do list. What alloy did you use for the cutting edge?

I just bought my first one yesterday at a garage sale. Looks to be an Oxford Razor by the Germanium Cutlery  Co in Germany. It even had the original box that had a price of $3 on it. I think I did pretty good for $1 :)

11 hours ago, Stormcrow said:

Beautiful! What handle material?

The scales are paper/epoxy micarta.

8 hours ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

Good looking razor. A straight is on my to-do list. What alloy did you use for the cutting edge?

It's a modified San Mai  construction and the cutting edge is 1095.

• 1 month later...

Now THAT is a hollow grind! what are the dimensions? looks to be about 7/8ths of an inch?

I'm currently working on one, but do not have a contact wheel in the traditional sense. Just trying to use the top of a 4X36 belt grinder meant for wood, and free-handing it at that.. Its not easy. But i'm going for more of a near wedge.

6 hours ago, Steve Sells said:

impressive work, and I like the design

Thanks Steve

4 hours ago, Latticino said:

Lovely clean work.  Your hollow grinds are intimidating, do you work with a water spray to keep cool during grinding?

No, I just dip the blade when I feel any heat. I keep my bare finger tips on the back of the contact point and with the blade so thin it is easy to feel any heat build up long before reaching the temper temperatures. You can't use much pressure anyway without fighting deflection on such a thin section. I run about 450 SFM when finishing the edge.

2 hours ago, Jclonts82 said:

Now THAT is a hollow grind! what are the dimensions? looks to be about 7/8ths of an inch?

I'm currently working on one, but do not have a contact wheel in the traditional sense. Just trying to use the top of a 4X36 belt grinder meant for wood, and free-handing it at that.. Its not easy. But i'm going for more of a near wedge.

Good eye. A 7/8 it is.

I think several  first razors and knives have been done on those 4x36 belt sanders. The main drawback IMO  is the high belt speed. On a heavy grind you should be able to keep your heat down pretty easy though. Light pressure and bare hands.

On 4/6/2018 at 1:52 PM, Jclonts82 said:

Just trying to use the top of a 4X36 belt grinder meant for wood, and free-handing it at that.. Its not easy. But i'm going for more of a near wedge.

Another thing to remember when using one of those. The top wheel of the sander is generally the tracking wheel and is often crowned. I'm not familiar with all makes, but I know both mine and my father-in-law's are, and both are different manufacturers. I imagine most others are as well.

On 4/6/2018 at 10:30 AM, bluesman7 said:

Another razor.

Looks great Victor!!!