I Forge Iron

Stand/Cart for forge, any pics?

bigb

My gas forge presently sits on a 3 legged height adjustable meat scale table. Moving it a few inches here and there is not too bad but I am considering a wheeled cart. Also, I am adding one of Larry Zoeller's idle circuits which will add too much weight to the fuel line to have it unsupported so I will need to add support for that. Thought about a flat top metal cart, also thought about a 2 wheeled hand cart with propane bottle underneath.

How about some pics/ideas of some of those portable setups?

I picked up a steel service cart from Harbor Freight for under $30. I wheel my forge out in the open air when I use it and then back. It had a three inch lip and 16 inch width, so I made the forge with intent to sit above the lip (for the forge door) and the length it fit in the 16” width. It works well for me, even going over a door jam/weather strip. My propane canister sits on the lower shelf. I have a cast iron pan with Perlite on the side for annealing. And I keep my vise clamps (used as tongs) and welding gloves on the cart. I keep my quench in an ammo can which I transport on the bottom shelf as well, but remove when I use for a quench. It is pretty self contained allowing for use, cool down, and quick clean up. i may place larger casters on the bottom which lock, but the step works great for me.

2F81B4BD-B30E-4A62-8A2E-890B2F9D410F.thumb.jpeg.b59e5738c8eadefb12031d5142985660.jpeg

My main forge doesn't ever get moved much, but it sits on an old roll around tool box. The drawers hold all kinds of tools, the handle serves as a tong rack, and a piece of  light sheet metal in the top drawer allows me to use it as a shelf, with not often use things under it, but still closes to get out of the way.  Al

Those are some good ideas, here's what I have now. I like the stand but it's tough to move. I thought about putting wheel on it but it might tip to easily. I might stick with it for a bit longer as I never move it more than a few feet. I do need to add a porch though

3 legs.jpg

I use a metal cart tray thing I had to take with the stuff on it at a yard sale but I can't find a pic. Teenylittlemetalguy on the other hand has the slickest forge stand setup I've ever seen. The whole thing folds into a hand truck, when up and running it has a steel basket to hold tools and materials just below forge level, tong and hammer racks, secure propane tank stand. It is just SWEET! Maybe he'll see this and post a pic.

Tristan?

Frosty The Lucky.

BigB, you have a great set up. Why not use some angle iron or tube iron (plus a plate if you wanted to do that) to create a wider base and place some casters on the bottom? If I had your setup (especially your stand), I would fabricate a bottom to replace the three stand legs to create a platform wider than the forge’s shelf and put some decent sized casters on the bottom. You could have the mobility you want with very little work. I can’t tell if your forge is secured to the base, but it doesn’t appear like it, so I would pick up some metal strapping, run it over the top of the forge, and secure it to the cart (or they have strap you can cinch the ends). Awesome setup and easy to make mobile.

12 hours ago, DavidF said:

BigB, you have a great set up. Why not use some angle iron or tube iron (plus a plate if you wanted to do that) to create a wider base and place some casters on the bottom? If I had your setup (especially your stand), I would fabricate a bottom to replace the three stand legs to create a platform wider than the forge’s shelf and put some decent sized casters on the bottom. You could have the mobility you want with very little work. I can’t tell if your forge is secured to the base, but it doesn’t appear like it, so I would pick up some metal strapping, run it over the top of the forge, and secure it to the cart (or they have strap you can cinch the ends). Awesome setup and easy to make mobile.

David, I thought about that. I am thinking about welding some round plates at the ends of the 3 legs and putting on 3 wheels. They would be out past where the legs end now. If it turns out to be too unstable I can just grind them off, or maybe take the wheels off and use the plates for skids. Or maybe just 2 wheels so I would pick one end up and roll it like a BBQ. Like I said I don't move it more than a few feet, basically just pull it out from the wall when using it.

This is my first gas forge I finished hardening kaowool today  , I welded a short piece of receiver tube on bottom so it can be removed! The rest is self explanatory!

Incidentally, height of front forge plate is 30 inches ,same as my folding saw horses to support longer steel if needed while remaining portable.

IMG_1348.JPG

A bit tall by some standards but I do dislike leaning down to look in the forge. the original idea was to use a two wheel dolly to move around but it is a bit clumsy so maybe some castors on the back side that make floor contact when tipped back. I am not wild about the idea of the forge being too mobile and it will very seldom be setting on a hard surface when in use so the larger the wheels the better.  Still a work in progress.

IMG_0192.JPG.526caaed5dc9d476aed8646cb6bc3ba4.JPG   

I too dislike leaning down to see into the forge which is why I like the adjustable stand I have. I only lowered it because I don't have a porch on it yet and I needed to lower it to table height when I was heating some long stock. I think you have convinced me to go with two wheels so I can just lift one end, BBQ style, and move it about. My wheels will be in contact with the floor, I don't want to have to tip it too far to roll.

Folks I assume you are using the proper glasses for IR exposure; I like my forge low enough that I'm not tempted to watch the interior a lot as I don't wear the shade lenses.

My forge is mounted on a BBQ cart that over the years has been beefed up with heavy duty ball bearing wheels on a solid rod axle and crisscross strapping to increase the rigidity. Forge is bolted to the steel top so it's stable going cross country; but with butterfly nuts it's easy to remove for road trips.

You guys and your fancy forge carts.....

Since I have to wheel everything outside when I forge and the ground I go across isn't the smoothest I wanted some big non-pneumatic wheels.  Here's what I came up with out of the "what I had on hand" stash.  The main part is from a walk behind self propelled brush cutter.  The forge floor is about sternum high on me.  I don't like bending over very far to check the steel color either.

20180206_173129.thumb.jpg.9af066fab11fc9d47bf3e13e7d0c755f.jpg

10 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Folks I assume you are using the proper glasses for IR exposure; I like my forge low enough that I'm not tempted to watch the interior a lot as I don't wear the shade lenses.

I do wear eye protection , and it still is not line of sight. and I am pretty sure that I look inside my gasser a lot less than most guys look at a coal burner. I like the idea of traveling over reasonably rough terrain, and being able to travel in the back of a truck is something most forges I have seen don't do incredibly well. 

On 2/6/2018 at 6:57 PM, Buzzkill said:

Since I have to wheel everything outside when I forge and the ground I go across isn't the smoothest I wanted some big non-pneumatic wheels.  Here's what I came up with out of the "what I had on hand" stash.  

Lol! Short of motorizing this rig, I think you have one of the fanciest and coolest setups I have seen. I love the big wheels. I would benefit a ton from having those wheels. I am holding onto my forge to jump over a 1” bump. I need to strap my forge down, but your design makes me want to pick up some wheels and do some welding. Funny how every time I see a new setup, I want to start a new forge build. But the wife wouldn’t be happy if I started over a month after I finished my first one. I wonder if I could sell the one I built and start version 2. This thread is going to get me in trouble because I keep seeing things I want to do! Do you think there is enough demand for forges that I can just build a bunch of designs and sell them? I think I could spend the next five years experimenting with the ultimate forge design. Maybe in a year I can justify building another one. 

Thanks.  It works for my needs, although like a lot of my gadgetry, it's in a perpetual state of "upgrading."

14 hours ago, DavidF said:

Do you think there is enough demand for forges that I can just build a bunch of designs and sell them?

Ummm yeah.  The number of places selling substandard forges for outrageous prices is disturbing.  If you can design and build a good forge for a reasonable amount of money it shouldn't be too hard to get some sales.  Of course once the current blip in blacksmithing interest wanes it could be a different story, but for now "strike while the iron is hot" if you're serious about it.