I Forge Iron

Powerfist anvils

I'm no expert on anvils but I may be an expert on looking for one as I've been watching CL for a couple years now. I have a nice Swedish anvil that I got for $150 but only 65 lbs, my 112 lb Mousehole is very, very rough and I'd like to replace it with a nicer one someday but if nothing comes up I am thinking about the NC Tool Cavalry anvil. It sells for $440 and from what I have read seems like very good quality. Powerfist on the other hand has some sketchy reviews and QC seems poor with inconsistency from anvil to anvil . A Google search brings up a thread about them here on IFI, the consensus seems they are cast iron and they don't seem too knowledgeable on their website. I would rather buy something made here from a company that has been around and knows what they are doing, NC tool anvils are made  in North Carolina.

On 1/24/2018 at 8:20 PM, bigb said:

I'm no expert on anvils but I may be an expert on looking for one as I've been watching CL for a couple years now. I have a nice Swedish anvil that I got for $150 but only 65 lbs, my 112 lb Mousehole is very, very rough and I'd like to replace it with a nicer one someday but if nothing comes up I am thinking about the NC Tool Cavalry anvil. It sells for $440 and from what I have read seems like very good quality. Powerfist on the other hand has some sketchy reviews and QC seems poor with inconsistency from anvil to anvil . A Google search brings up a thread about them here on IFI, the consensus seems they are cast iron and they don't seem too knowledgeable on their website. I would rather buy something made here from a company that has been around and knows what they are doing, NC tool anvils are made  in North Carolina.

There are plenty of decent American made anvils out there. NC is a poor excuse for a Horseshoers anvil and just barely out of the ASO class.

Rather than be redundant I'll refer you to this thread:

George

Maybe they case hardened the surface - don't know much about the case hardening process but there is a lot of that going on these days.  My springshop guy tells me that most all U bolts are case hardened these days so when I pick through his scrap bin I stay away from them and go for the nice leaf springs & coil springs.