I Forge Iron

Opinion on this anvil?

Appears to be a Vulcan. Appears to be in descent shape. Research a rebound test to see if it is structurally sound. Depending on price if you live in an anvil rich area you can probably find a better quality anvil. Here in Alaska it would probably sell pretty quick if reasonably priced as not many anvils pop up for sale.

Probably be able to find a much better anvil at $4/lb in New England.

Requisite post on maybe you should wait until you have some experience before spending that much on an anvil. You can make a very good improvised anvil a lot less. Check out this post: https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/52308-a-collection-of-improvised-anvils/

Spend your money on some classes, books and other tools you'll need.

1 minute ago, DanL. said:

Spend your money on some classes, books and other tools you'll need.

Planning on doing that, too.  

I'm moving to Colorado soon, and looking around at prices it seems like if I wait until after the move I'll be spending far, far more on an anvil.  Sticking another 200# on the moving truck will be a minor incremental cost.

A 100-200 lb anvil should be able to handle most all of that. 150lb and up for sure. Vulcans are ok anvils. But that price seems way high. 

What DanL said. You can start forging on a chunk of steel until you have better knowledge. Read up here and absorb everything in your interests then you will have a better idea what little you actually need to get started. Then build up from there. Don't waste all your money on a less then prime fancy anvil. Just saying. 

If you would stop by PA I could find you a better deal. 

N/p. Anvils can go insane here too at times but atm there is a nice Peter wright anvil 135lb going for $400 and what looks like a mousehole they claim as a pw 125lb for $250 granted it has a broken tail piece on half the hardy hole but the face is really nice. Still less then a sub par Vulcan and better then a chunk of steel. Better deals pop up  patience is the best thing with anvils  look up TPAAAT on here  

On vulcan anvils, I own one and it works fine. The rebound isn't legendary but it works fine. They do have a cast iron body however, which means they're far more quiet than steel ringing anvils.  

If you want to get started working on your skills really all you need is a sledgehammer head as your anvil, or a piece of railroad track. I agree with the others tho, a book or better yet a class would really be best to get a feel for it. 

If you can afford to spend that much on an anvil then you should either wait until you move and buy a good anvil like a rhino anvil for just a little more or search for one when you get to CO. 

Personally I'd suggest as others have said, make really sure you are going to stay in the blacksmithing field by  before dropping a bunch of bucks on a lower grade anvil like a vulcan. 

Thanks for all the input.  I'm going to pass on it and keep looking.  Not planning to buy anything unless I hear from those who know more that it's a great deal.

(I have taken one multi-day class and loved it.  I also know from my experience as a furniture maker that good tools == less frustration == more enjoyable experience.)

You can purchase a BRAND NEW 100 pound double horn anvil for just over what you would pay for the anvil you found. Contact Jymm Hoffman on this site and check your PM

Join the blacksmithing group in your area as they know where the anvils are located there. New England Blacksmiths Assoc.,  New York State Designer Blacksmith Artists come to mind.

One company that has a bunch of different brands of anvils is Anvil Brand, and they have good prices. I have a 125# JHM and it is a nice anvil. 

The Vulcan is a good anvil for urban smiths because it is one of the quiet anvils due to the cast iron body, but not at the price. My 260# Fisher is also quiet and that is why it is my main anvil. 

But like others have suggested, a scrounged anvil can be just as good as a factory one. Hit up scrap yards, heavy equipment repair shops, tractor shops, rental yards, etc and look for forklift forks (4000 series steels), large shafts (usually a medium carbon steel), hydraulic breaker points (made to take a pounding), etc... with scrap being in the gutter value wise some shops will give it to you just to get it out of the shop. A yard may charge, but you will be talking 20 cents a pound instead of $4.00+ a pound for a "vintage" anvil. 

6 minutes ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

One company that has a bunch of different brands of anvils is Anvil Brand, and they have good prices. I have a 125# JHM and it is a nice anvil. 

The Vulcan is a good anvil for urban smiths because it is one of the quiet anvils due to the cast iron body, but not at the price. My 260# Fisher is also quiet and that is why it is my main anvil. 

But like others have suggested, a scrounged anvil can be just as good as a factory one. Hit up scrap yards, heavy equipment repair shops, tractor shops, rental yards, etc and look for forklift forks (4000 series steels), large shafts (usually a medium carbon steel), hydraulic breaker points (made to take a pounding), etc... with scrap being in the gutter value wise some shops will give it to you just to get it out of the shop. A yard may charge, but you will be talking 20 cents a pound instead of $4.00+ a pound for a "vintage" anvil. 

Hunting around also sounds like fun.  And save my $$ so that my second anvil can be Refflinghaus, right?

Any advice where to look for a piece of rail?  MBTA would probably be annoyed if I cut a piece out of their track.