I Forge Iron

About done with my forklift anvil and need advice

Good Morning all,

I about about ready to weld on a hardy plate on to my forklift anvil and I need to ask your advice. I know that a weld resulting from a 7018 rod will not be the same type of work surface as the forklift steel and as it stands I have 2 chunks welded together that weigh at least #65 or #70. I would like to know if you think I should

1. Weld a RR Tie plate on the top of the work surface giving me a single hardness over the entire face but risk the effects of an air gap between the plate and the rest of the steel.
  2. not worry about the weld and use full 12/odd inches of mass for down and and the 7 by 4 inch face.
  3. Use it like a striker anvil that has a 7 inches by 12 odd inches face is around 4 odd inches tall and risk the air gap where the 2 plates are welded together.

Forklift next step.png

Thanks all, I did not think it was that great an idea but I thought I should double check. I had good success welding a hardy plate with 1 inch plate (mild steel) gussets on the other part and I did do my pre-heat and sill have all my eyes, ears, fingers and toes. Thanks for the warning. I have to think being at ground zero when #80+ of steel cracks would be a bad thing.

I would also suggest that you keep the fork under 400F to maintain the factory heat treating. The manufacturers that got back with me said that they use  4XXX series steels like 4140 to make the tines. 

I would say leave it as a block, and make a stand that it can be rotated / tilted, etc so you can use all of the sides if need be. 

Make a portable hole, or use a vise to hold the bottom tools.