Very very cool 58er. Is that lower strap leather? Also any plans to add a flag of some sort? 

Has the local post office agreed on that design?  Or do you have a standard box inside the "protective cover"?

nice job. years ago I was a parttime rural mailman. kids had knocked downs one customers mailbox a bunch of times so he made a new one out of well casing, 6 and 8 inch. its still standing tho a few kids got sore arms from using the bat and a few dents in vehicles when bats didn't work.

Wicked KEWL mail box Fifty eighter. Is there a flag?

It's been almost 50 years since I made a mail box but at that time the regs were pretty simple though I can't even guesstimate them specifically. The box had to be within a range of sizes, distance +/- from the gutter edge of the curb, range of heights and the door had to be openable with one finger. No sharp edges or protrusions that could catch a sleeve. 

I don't know how a door that hinged downwards would fare but I doubt it's out of spec.

Frosty The Lucky.

That's a vine piece of work, 58er! I would like to make a mailbox, but we don't have a mail service at our place so it would be useless.

Nice hammer finish on the door.