I Forge Iron

Help with translating my brand name

Dear All,

Once again I need to ask for your help related to English language. I want to get outside of the Hungarian market and go a bit more international. But there is one very basic problem: my brand name is absolutely Hungarian, and it doesn't work in international contexts.

The name is "Ujravasalo" which means re-ironer in Hungarian. It's supposed to be a pun as it means 1. the one who re-uses iron 2. the one who irons clothes again 3. the horse has turned into iron again.  It has a good distinctive function: those who understand the name usually also like my real stuff, those who just stare at the name buy the lucky horseshoes. (No judgement here only the experience talking, I'm fine with this :) )

The two main function of the name is to suggest there is re- or upcycled materials used for forging new things, and also to sense this is not the usual "wrought-iron"' concept but something creatively different.

I've been thinking what possible English version could give the same impression as the Hungarian. Somehow I don't feel the "Re-ironer" could be too good. The monsters like Upcycliron or Recyroner came to my mind, but it looks like my English competence ends here.

I'd very much appreciate any kind of help you can give me. Thank you in advance!

Bests:

Gergely

The closest I can come up with is "The Reforger", considering that reforging has the meaning of re-casting your image as in re inventing yourself and used by public figures.

Expressions in one language may have an equivalent in another language, but trying to find one that has also the same synonyms is futile. That is why translating jokes is mostly impossible and why even the same language used in different countries can contribute to errors. I was a court interpreter for years and had great fun trying to translate the colloquialism and profanities exactly as they were meant. Most of the times close enough was all that I could achieve.

I like The Reforger, it is a person and describes more than one action.

Best of luck. :)

I think Ujravasalo is a fine name and I’d say to use it internationally. It is what I would expect to see if I sought a fine article from an blacksmith based overseas. I think it would ultimately help your brand recognition and reputation. 

Starbucks is Starbucks all over the world and I’d wager that few people would understand the meaning of the English name, or its link to Melville. But it’s also hard to imagine that there are many people in the world that are unfamiliar with the brand.

I'd keep the name as it is. It's very distinctive and takes some effort to pronounce right. The switch from J to R feels so weird! I tried saying it out loud(and got some strange looks from work buddies :D), and noticed I subconsciously try to say "Urjavasalo". Maybe it's because our languages are related? "Urja" is mentioned in Kalevala a few times, just thinking if it means anything in Hungarian?

Thank you Gentlemen for your kind and constructive help!

Pretty unbelievable that I've been poundering for over a year now at this problem, and the verb "forge" never popped into my mind as a synonim  for the verb "iron". It looks like sometimes you just need to ask when couldn't get out of the box. 

I like the idea about keeping Ujravasalo on the international front line. Maybe also with the supplement "The Reforger". That clears up the picture a bit.

Is there anyone else who thinks Ujravasalo is an acceptable name? - Considering its length and hard pronounciation.

Thanks and best wishes:

Gergely

PS:

4 hours ago, Meadowgrove said:

I'd keep the name as it is. It's very distinctive and takes some effort to pronounce right. The switch from J to R feels so weird! I tried saying it out loud(and got some strange looks from work buddies :D), and noticed I subconsciously try to say "Urjavasalo". Maybe it's because our languages are related? "Urja" is mentioned in Kalevala a few times, just thinking if it means anything in Hungarian?

It may sound silly but have you tried it like this: Uiravashaloo - it's suurin piirtein the way we say it :) 

I like the notion of "The Reforger"...in the USA that sounds like a comic book superhero of some sort...a grand superhero with the power of upcycling old iron with his (or her!) mighty blacksmithing skills. 

Normally that marketing campaign suggestion would cost you a couple of hundred thousand dollars but today I'll let you have it for free :)