I Forge Iron

Rivetless Scroll Tongs

blacksmith-450

I've wondered about tongs with a joint like that. I've seen a few smaller tools with similar joints before and saw a video on YouTube where a guy made a small wooden pair of tongs from one piece of wood and that made me want to try. I haven't taken the time to try it yet but that may have to change after seeing this. 

• 3 weeks later...

How does it hold up with the sideways twisting torque that is common with scroll  tongs ?

I'm assuming that unless the parent stock can fit through the hinge mortise both the working end as well as the reins have to be shaped after the two pieces are assembled 

Is there some advantage with a joint like that ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just made this set yesterday. This was my first attempt at a box joint, and is sure a long way from the perfect fit a lot of the old pliers I've collected have. I chose to use a rivet in addition to the box joint, all of my old examples have a rivet.  All forging, except rivet hole was done prior to assembly. I plan on practicing and making others, as play time allows. Any suggestions, or formulas for a better fit out there? Al

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...