I Forge Iron

Spirit of the Land Festival - Lockhart Australia

Spirit of the Land Festival. Held in Lockhart, New South Wales, Australia each October.

Some of the best sculptors in the country had work here.

Enjoy the pictures. Andrew Whitehead (Scrapartoz) is the sculptor of the ram and working dogs and horse.

Coins are "Two Up Coins", a game played each year on Anzac Day, our most important day for remembering Australian soldiers who fought/died in wars. These are similar to ones my brothers made. Just beautiful and they span very well.. Great wind veins..

If you want any other information, let me know

Best two day metal festival in Australia and a country (bush) region event.

andrews-horse.jpg

boar.jpg

unicorn.jpg

Spirit-of-land-emblem.jpg

ram-andrew.jpg

Ram-and-working-dogs.jpg

clock.jpg

two-up.jpg

The festival was originally formed for farmers to do metal sculptures/art. Thus most of the sculptures are made of farm machinery, implements, etc. it now has a large participation rate. Great for the town of Lockhart that had many years of drought and high stress on farmers. 

Thanks for the pics, Cathy. Wonderful stuff.

As Das said, so much to look at. I like the Australia coat of arms, with Australia spelt out in scrap objects. That's cool. I have a flagpole on my driveway with a kangaroo and emu standing beside it. Visitors feel obliged to sing Advance Australia on the way past!

Hey, the sheep and dogs are fantastic. The brass locks are a nice touch for a show at Lockhart!  I have a joey kangaroo with a brass lock on each side of his rump. We call him Locky.

And how about those pennies! Pliers, spanners, hooks, tinsnips, rail clips, rebar ... it's all there. Inspiring work. Just gotta get to Lockhart one day!!

I'd love to see these in person. :) 

I really like the unicorn. Something like that would be a great use for rebar. Looks like there is a heart on its rump haha. 

Andrew is great with adding little focal points through his work, like with the locks on the ram, but check out the flower shape on the saddle of the horses back. Fun stuff to find and discover beyond just the amazing overall piece. 

The U and I in Australia are a clevis and the pin for it. 

The big knife on the front shoulder and leg of the boar. 

Hah! Yeah I could look at these a lot, I'm a scrapaholic. 

I don't have much I can add to the above but I DO love work that the more you look the more you see. My only problem is, can you call it scrap if you have so much you can do with it?

Great show, thanks for posting the pics Cathy.

Frosty The Lucky.

I agree, there is so much use for scrap metal than just crushing it.

I am off this week to have a hunt around a few clearing sales, hopefully I will come home with some BOOTIE!!!

Then I can start my next project with a good supply of metal to work with.

Thanks all for liking the images.. It is a great show and if you ever came to Australia that would be the time come. October.. 

And Cathy if you ever find yourself in my part of the country, make sure you bring a ute. There's more than enough scrap for all of us up here! Three or four days drive though - but you could call in on Andrew on the way! :D

On 22/10/2017 at 10:16 PM, ausfire said:

And Cathy if you ever find yourself in my part of the country, make sure you bring a ute. There's more than enough scrap for all of us up here! Three or four days drive though - but you could call in on Andrew on the way! :D

Thanks Ausfire, what a lovely offer. If I am heading north I will definitely contact you.

On 23/10/2017 at 3:00 AM, seldom (dick renker) said:

the pics are awesome. I have followed scrapart a while ago and was highly impressed with his attention to detail. this looks like the kind of show that could possibly get me in an airplane again.

It is a great festival seldom

On 22/10/2017 at 1:46 AM, Frosty said:

I don't have much I can add to the above but I DO love work that the more you look the more you see. My only problem is, can you call it scrap if you have so much you can do with it?

Great show, thanks for posting the pics Cathy.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks Frosty. Not scrap, revival. Pretty much everything gets re-used, recycled around here. And metal is definitely not scrap for all of us on iforgeiron!!! What a great use of resources