I Forge Iron

I found the scabbard at an auction with a bunch of others so decided to forge a d-guard brush machete to fit it.

The blade is an old buggy spring that hardened and tempered well. Someone told me that it looks like a Civil War artillery machete used to clear brush from in front of a battery. I haven't found any reference to that though.

Missing photo added at end.

Pizza... no the first documentation is from Italy in 1889 and introduced to the U.S. in 1905 NYC.

Rebar... yes the first documentation of it's use was in Europe in the 15th century but not widely used in the U.S. until after the Civil War.

That's all I know.:)

Early masonry tended to be brick and stone; sometimes two walls with rubble fill between them.  Cast concrete was not much used, The dome of the pantheon does come to mind though---wiki: "Almost two thousand years after it was built, the Pantheon's dome is still the world's largest unreinforced concrete dome."

Large load bearing castings would drive a need to make concrete stronger.

Nah, pizza has been around since biblical times and earlier. The best description I remember reading was Roman army food. They'd take large batches of bread dough, individual legionnaires would pinch off what they wanted or were issued. They then patted them into flat cakes, added olive oil and baked them on the stones around the fire. Adding cheese, meat, veggies or whatever was available was a given. 

When the Hebrews fled Egypt they didn't have time to make leavened bread. The method used was the air delivered yeast spoor sour dough version of leavened bread. Anyway there wasn't time to let dough sit out in the open air long enough to catch enough yeast to rise so they ate it as a quick bread. unleavened crackers, Motso bread. I'm sure dietary strictures seriously limited what they baked on their bread when they had time for proper bread. 

Only the name "Pizza Pie" is recent, coined by American troops who fell in love with the stuff when stationed in Italy and brought it home.  The food has been around since bread was invented, not long after beer. Beer's been around longer, MUCH.

Oldest masonry structures known so far Gobekli Tepe appear to be temples and the deeper they excavate the more ancient it pushes the "civilization" time line back. How does that apply here? Every level has brewing vats, people have been drinking beer as long as we've been stacking stones. Cool huh? Beer and Pizza!

I'd take the guard off the blade in the OP were I making a pizza slicer out of it.

Frosty The Lucky.

"Pizza pie" translates out as "pie pie". Pizza means pie in Italian.

SLAG.

Italian pizza is very different than the current North American pie. It is much plainer.  & ...

Jer only insomnia permits me to keep up with you.

Mortar, grout, and cement were later  inventions. the earliest Mesopotamian cultures used pitch (tar) to join masonry together. And that was much much later than Gulbeke Tepe.

Cheers,

Dan.

• 2 weeks later...

Wait a second there, isn't Pizza a province or city in Italy? Didn't American GIs dub the pies "Pizza pie" when they came back from the war, in other words The pie from PIzza? Italian pie is much different but they don't have the kind of competition among parlors we do here and our taste buds aren't expecting what we've been eating for generations. I'm a kitchen sink pizza guy. NO anchovies!! Nasty little fish oil flavored salt sticks. I think they're someone's revenge, get us to eat bait fish. 

Pizza's really just a pan bread with toppings. We used to make hot sandwiches around the fire in the field by wrapping something, usually meat in bread dough and toasting it over the fire. slap it on a hot rock next to the fire and you have the ancient version of bread, top it with whatever's handy. Bread baked over a wood fire is delicious it picks up the smoke flavor wonderfully.

Jer

• 3 years later...

I've shot unfriendly electronics, it's most satisfying.B) Do it outside though.  I've been shooting dead wrist watches since I was pretty young. Mechanicals are more fun than electronic ones, there's a better parts spray and cooler wreckage.

Frosty The Lucky.

It would make a great "don't trespass" strip; but it doesn't seem very usable for other things. Now the human silhouette target in 3/8"? plate riddled with through&throughs does make a nice sign "Burglars Welcome; free gifts delivered at high speeds"    (Found that at the scrapyard too; it's interesting as the front of the target has a "splash ring" whereas the back has the "tearout ring".  I call it my "cheese grater".)