I Forge Iron

Log splitter to a forging press

blacksmith-450

I am converting a log splitter into a forging press. The log splitter is mounted linearly with the motor at the end of the beam.

IMG_2479.thumb.JPG.e9e9af564f84717cb87221019d517c2b.JPG

IMG_2478.thumb.JPG.d465e55af70e6d81c68f9d5741957e96.JPG

I have a problem of height! If I place the worktable at 36 inches and keep the 15 inches of space between the table and the top of the ram, I miss 6 inches on the ceiling.

My options are:

• Put the worktable lower, about at 28 inches
  • Reduce travel at 8-10 inches
  • Lower the table AND reduce the travel
  • Remove the motor and oil tank, remove 12 inches of beam and reinstall the motor back on the other side of the beam. (...more work)

What I should do ?  Forging sitting on a chair or doing it the long way ???

If you stand it up, won't you have to adjust the hydro tank anyway?  if you move the pump and hydro to the side, how much of that smaller frame can you chop off the top?  It's hard to see it from the pictures.

I think it needs a bit of an overhall all over.  I know I would not want those hoses at face level when I'm working.  Google images for hydraulic hose accidents.  Keep a bucket in your lap if you do search it.

I had not thought about the safety rules. Wrong reflex to believe that to split logs that was not required,... everything was ok.

I will put a shield around all the hydraulic portion when the assembly is finished.

if you move the pump and hydro to the side, how much of that smaller frame can you chop off the top?  It's hard to see it from the pictures.

Just flip the motor below the beam will give me 15 inches.

Where the components don't move in relation to each other I HIGHLY recommend steel pipe rather than hose. If you use hose buy new and slip larger hose over it to catch leaks. You'll notice a leak when hyd fluid comes running out of a safety shield hose which is so much more desirable than having it slice your leg or injecting hyd fluid into your blood stream. 

Steel line is more efficient as well, hyd hose expands and flexes with every pressure change and that's power I'd REALLY rather have doing work, steel lines do a much better job of cooling and keeping the fluid cool is a big plus.

I'd much rather have a gas powered splitter for a forge press, they're faster but having a gas engine in the shop is kind of silly. So my plan was to put the hyd tools along one wall and run a station pump outside with the hyd plumbed along the wall. One thing led to another and I found myself designing my own co gen set up before I'd heard of cogen. I got the idea from a State Maint shop in a remote region that had to generate their own power. The shop had propane fired overhead heaters all over the place, Interior Alaska gets COLD. The generator shack was about 75' away with 3 Cat diesel powered generators. The area where the cooling fans and radiators was always hot, over 100f when ambient was -50f.

Every time we were in the area I was wondering why all that coolant wasn't being pumped through hydronic floor heat, overhead heaters, radiators etc. in the shop, housing, offices, etc. I thought it was insane paying huge heat bills while they were going to significant effort to get rid of heat! Sure, summer is a little different so you flip a couple valves and send the engine coolant to the radiators like before.

Anywho, using a water cooled diesel engine to power my shop's electrical and hydraulic needs was going to heat it too. In summer the fans reverse direction and become exhaust fans for the shop while blowing the hot air out into the yard.

Sorry for the side track. I'd  move the motor, pump and reservoir outside or put it in a covered box and plumb the system to the valves with steel. But that's just me I've been thinking about this kind of thing my whole life and Randell thinks he comes up with a lot of ideas. :rolleyes:

Frosty The Lucky.

Where ever practical. Nothing's perfect, safe or dangerous but I'm into mitigating any danger I can within reason. 

Hoses blowing off isn't a big deal, maybe cover you with hot oil and that ain't so bad. I had the high pressure supply hose going to the control panel of a Mobile B50 blow the fitting right out of the valve body and about 30 gls of the 110 in the machine squirted right through the gap between valve banks at my face. I ducked in time I didn't take it in the face and was wearing my Refridgewear which kept it off me long enough to get the drill shut down and get out of the sopping HOT gear. It was HOT and I got a raft of 1st degree burns, about like a sunburn on the nude beach but it conditioned my hair beautifully. Soft and silky isn't my usual hair but. . . 

No, what's really dangerous are pin holes spitting a stream of Hyd fluid at 10,000 psi. The things can be invisibly small and dissipate quickly enough to not leave a clue. Badness happens when you get close and it lays you open like a laser scalpel or just squirts some in like one of those needleless(sp?) injection gun things. 

Being as we were there to take soil samples we always had canvas sample sacks and if a hyd system looked too iffy I'd toss one between me and the fittings and hose.

Frosty The Lucky.

Today I work on my project to forge. I have 3 objectives:

1- Cut the motor support. I have to remove 12 inches of length on the beam. I reweld the beam cut back. It's a 180 degree flip. Rod welding, there is nothing structural in there.

2- Cut the bottom of the press. There were 16 inches in excess on the travel. I cut 8 inches and reweld flush to make the table stand. TIG welding on all 4 sides. I went slowly and deeply. The table will be welded on top of that assembly.

3- Remove the oil tank ... it will be replaced at the end only.

The complete assembly is now 5 feet. It is more compact and solve my height problem.

Pics to come.

Looking good! Is the cylinder going to be below or above?

Above. ... but the horizontal still have some avantages....

The base will doubled with an other section of H-Beam... it will be mounted on a table, a large log,... 

An other section of h-beam will be but behind the main beam to cut the flex... I think that I have a plan... :ph34r:

I was just asking because you mentioned you had a problem with height. I've seen presses with the cylinder below and the work piece moved up to the stationary top die plate. That made the press not so tall.

No problem with the verbs. I think "ing" makes it sound like it is happening now. "ed" for regular verbs sounds like it already happened.