I Forge Iron

help? new shop

I've decided that now that lugging my 172# anvil, tools, forge round the ranch to find a suitable place work or to keep the weather off the tools has lost all it charm and now am ready to construct a permanent home for the smithy... How ever I have some serious constraints placed on me, living in the people republic of maryland and being po' .The biggest is that it must be under 200 sq ft to meet the non permit "shed" requirements. I'll only be having non electric tools in the except for the "fan assisted raised campfire pit" and maybe a halogen worklight which will be powered via an extension cord till I get my bellows built. Im thinking that 12x12-14x14 pole barn type construction open on one side, gravel floor, and 8-10ft ceiling. I really like working out side so I figure this setup is ideal as I can keep the tooling dry and still be able to work if the weather is inclement, while still being somewhat outside. Im open to suggestions or "what works well for you and why?

I worked under a 10X20" tarp shed for about 9yrs. Had my power hammer, press, forge and anvil under it. Keeps you out of the weather though not out of the cold. I lined the walls with 1/2 inch OSB. This prevented melting through the walls. I had to replace the roof about every other year due to UV damage. I never had a problem with heat from my propane forge on the roof but I do not know how it will work with coal, should be fine. The nice thing is it is relatively cheap and non permanent. I did pour a concrete floor to support the larger equipment but it is not required for hand operated tools.

5689.attach

5690.attach

5691.attach

You could use BGCM school forges on forge nights and meeting days. You could also help out at one of the historical forges in the Maryland area. 12 by 12 is pretty small, depends what you want to do in it. I moved from Maryland to one block north of the PA line. Homes were about half the price and the zoning allows for a home business.

You could also construct some sort of portable set-up that allows you to take your essential stuff to events.

There's a fellow in california with a similar problem but he needs quite a bit more space. He's a multi-media sculptor and a number of media don't like being worked in the same space. I wish I recalled his name, he had an excellent series of pics showing how he managed the SQ/ft restrictions.

Basically what he did was build two sheds just under the limit, spaced far enough apart the space was also just under the limit. Each "shed" has a single pitch roof with the high sides facing, and a separate "breezeway" roof covering the open space.

It's also built on three separate slabs to keep with the spirit.

One "shed" contained his "clean" non-staining dirty media; like wood, glass, fabrics, ceramics, etc. the other shed contained his casting studio, if I recall correctly, and the "breezeway" held his forging area and dirty stuff area. As in staining, gritty, dusty, etc.

He even managed jib boom cranes that would interact to move stuff from one "shed" to another. It was a pretty slick way to get around the frankly ruinous permitting, inspection, etc. "fees" and completely legal. Where he lived any way.

I used to live in Anchorage which is turning into a serious tax and spend, permits and inspections for EVERY danged THING, city. Permits to build a dog house will cost about 3x what buying one will and for a store bought dog house you don't need a permit. (IDIOTS!)

When I met my wife in 97' we had to come up with a proper solution. Deb raises pygmy goats, add to that I like smithing and other kinds of metal work there just wasn't enough room or good will, in the old trailer court. :o

Our solution was to move about 50 miles putting us about 20 miles outside Anchorage and just outside Wasilla. No zoning, no conenants and no codes, except fed and state, like wells and septic which aren't unreasonable.

We bought 30 acres of undeveloped forrest, we would've prefered something with a home, barn and shop but couldn't afford it. Built a 2,200 sq/ft home, relocated and expanded a 2 car garage for the barn and I've been building a 30' x 40' steel shop over the last couple years. No permits except well and septic.

Borough wants to change that though. . . (mumbledy mumble greedy Buzzards!) :mad:

Frosty

Yes, I could have as many "sheds" as I need solong as i keep in my zoning setbacks, and more importantly as the wife will allow, fortunately she likes the projects I turn out... As to the security issue, I'm blessed as to my location and the shop will be inside the fence of my property which wpuld have to pass by the 230 grain security system. Although im not planning on being in the space for too terribly long as the yuppies are crowding in at an alarming rate, I do want it to be comfortable and I've long been a fan of seperating "clean" and "dirty" work in different shops. I thank you guys for the input, and I'll be implementing some of the ideas, and will be chronicling the construction as I have with my smithing progress.

You could use BGCM school forges on forge nights and meeting days. You could also help out at one of the historical forges in the Maryland area. 12 by 12 is pretty small, depends what you want to do in it. I moved from Maryland to one block north of the PA line. Homes were about half the price and the zoning allows for a home business.

You could also construct some sort of portable set-up that allows you to take your essential stuff to events.

Im all about all of the above ideas, but Im at a loss of smithing contacts in the local area, what is BGCM? And I didnt know that there were historical forges around...? And finally I plan on keeping my setup semi portable to attend event and such.

Go to the opening page of IForgeIron.com and click on Blacksmithing Groups.

IForgeIron covers the world, so it is now a matter of trying to find a group in your geographic location. BGCM or the Blacksmith's Guild of Cental Maryland is shown as a blacksmithing group in Westminster, MD. But Maryland is a long state and depending on where in Maryland you live, it may be closer to find a blacksmithing group in NJ, PA, WV, Va, De, or even New York.

Sucks living out here; we serfs aren't allowed pistols, unless they are muzzle-loaders or airpistols.

Did you tell your town to review the constitution? I believe some where in there I believe somewhere in this part called the second amendment It say that we have the right to bear arms.

What has happened to this country. good luck having a burgalur take you seriously with an airsoft gun. I dont know much about zoning regulations but our shop is 50x50 and I only occupy about 30x20 of it and its a pretty well loaded shop.

Did you tell your town to review the constitution? I believe some where in there I believe somewhere in this part called the second amendment It say that we have the right to bear arms.

Dan:

Matt lives in the UK.

I don't believe the Magna Carta says anything about keeping and bearing arms. I could be wrong though, I've never read it. ;)

Frosty

Our Bill of Rights predates yours, and infact formed much of the basis. It contains an equivalent to the Second Amendment but we have had the best part of a century now of those in charge banning and restricting for 'the public safety' and the general populace have followed like the good litle sheeple that the are. The knowledge of the RKBA has all but died-out in this once-proud nation and I honestly can't see it being reacknowledged without a major change in most peoples' way of life and mindset. That's not to say I have given up; I will continue doing what I can to campaign, to intoduce newomers to shooting (even just to show them that guns aren't bad), and to shoot as much as my time and money allow. If you live in a freer country, please do everything you can to keep it alive.

(On a related note, congratulations to you Americans on the outcome of today's oral arguments in D.C. vs. Heller!)

Yes indeed Matt, I've got a good friend that landed here in western MD a few very ago and he definately is a product of the keep the people safe from themselves mentality of the UK, I pray every day that that free men and women are able to maintain the right to defend themselves against any threat to thier freedom. On a slightly different note, a double barrel .69 muzzleloading pistol with 130gr FF powder and volume equivalent of bird shot makes a MEAN defensive device(not a firearm by US law, as it doesnt take a premade ammo).

Ok Glenn,

I just got another language infraction for using the xxxx word? Now my grandmother used to get onto me for using that term. But can you please clear this off my "record"?

I merely thought that since there were so many Brits involved in this thread that a little Montey Python might be, shall we say Festive?

-Dan

The IForgeIron site guide lines are clear.

The Blacksmith Forum is a family site. The standards are set high. You are expected to conduct yourselves as gentlemen and ladies. Your posts are to be civil, polite, and respectful of others and their opinions. There are to be no "bad words", no personal attacks, and it should be able to be read from the front of the church on Sunday with no one being embarrassed.

The site is a way to exchange information. You may question or comment as you wish within these guide lines. Additional guide lines may be added as needed, and additions made to the rules of registration, and any disclaimers as needed.

I charge each of you with assisting me in keeping the site a family site, a clean site, and operating within the guidelines set forth. I do not expect any problems, but if they were to occur, please contact me directly with your concerns.

IForgeIron is visited by over 50 world wide countries each month. We encourage men, women, and children of all ages to visit the site, and yes, you can invite your grandmother to visit IForgeIron.

By setting high standards, IForgeIron is a comfortable place for all to visit.

Just to let you know Glenn. My pastor has said xxxx in church ;-).

My point is that I appreciate the rules and am doing my best to ensure that I follow them. My problem is that I need to get a better handle on what it is that I need to censor.

This is in no way to be disrespectful of you or your site. The site that you have created is 100% top notch and I love visiting it. I just want to make sure I don't Mr. Magoo, my way into a site banning. I also want to make sure that when people look up my profile they don't think that I'm a "drunken sailor". Granted I'm the first part but I could never be the last part since I'm afraid of water.

-Dan