I Forge Iron

Kilts

larrynjr

Well, I'm not allowed to wear one, but I must say...I LOVE guys who can pull off wearing a kilt!!! And I am one of the official kilt checkers at the Renfaire :)

I will have to renenber that next time I get to Ms for a ren fiare. My blood is viking, but I married into the Furgeson and Glass Clan's, and as such I have a Blackwatch Kilt and a Ferguson as well.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I was wondering what the general consensus is concerning kilts.

Do you like them, do you or would you wear one?

Should we make it a requirement to wear one to be part of IFI? ;) just kidding!

Here's a shot I quite like (goofy face and all) during a run to the store while at a rendezvous last year.

iainspics1015-1.jpg

I live and breath horses so unless I invest in a chariot, kilts are not part of the word robe.
I'm afraid pants ar not proof against chigers and ticks. One just about needs one of those lasses with the regimental mirrors to check for tics during the summer around hear.
Eany fool that gets close enough to me with a gun so as I can see the sites of his eyes may find my knife in one. With in about 20 feet just about eany meilee weapon trumps a gun.
I knew a preacher from Samoa that wore the polinisian versian of the kilt. Afte knowing him, I think I'm man enugh to wear one, but I dang shut need some sun on my leggs first.

I have two kilts that I wear to weddings etc. one is Douglas, the other Mckenzie, the two local regiments, the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) and the Royal Highland Fussiliers. Both are no longer with us, but the RHF lives on within the Royal Regiment of Scotland.
I do however also Have a pair of trews (McKenzie) and to be honest I do prefer to wear these on less formal occasions.

Mick

• 2 weeks later...

I wore my Utilikilt to the Abana conference in June, there were several of us wearing kilts there. We were at the steak house one night and I saw another guy from the conference wearing his as well and I said to him, "No dress code"
What do you wear under a kilt? Your boots. Here is a picture myself in the brown workman and Tony Swanton in the black utilikilt this is in Memphis TN
post-10376-0-81686300-1289161501_thumb.j

My Mom's family is Southerland. Additionally, I got into Medieval re-enacting after college and have since made two modern short kilts by hand, one with a red tartan (no family) and one in blackwatch, which is one of the Southerland tartans. I made both with some mistakes, but they still wear nice. I have fabric to make a really nice kilt, but I want to sharpen my skills and not make the same mistakes as before.

I also acquired a 1952 Singer sewing machine recently, so want to make my own utilikilt style as a practice.

Regards,
Tim