I Forge Iron

Is a #108 Trenton worth $900

Local guy is selling a #108 Trenton with some hardy tools and a vise (Chas Parker?). Not sure if the anvil alone is worth nearly that sight unseen. This would be my first true anvil, currently I'm working with a large piece of a fork lift fork.

What are are your collective thoughts?

Thanks!

IMG_0120.JPG

IMG_0121.JPG

Way too much where I am from ( in southwestern PA. ) anvils seem to be going high everywhere but in my opinion it's way too expensive. 

: A little context: look at what a brand new anvil will cost from a reputable maker and judge from there.

that is probably about 200 bucks over market price in our area, even with the extras. I would not pay that much, but that is just me. you can get a brand new baby rhino anvil (142 lbs) from incandescent ironworks for that much. Actually, there are a lot of good new anvils out there that are that price but bigger. to give you an idea of what 900 could buy,  i got my 160lb soderfors anvil, a brand new coal forge with a 3 1/2 inch blower, a post drill, a 4 inch post vice, and 200lbs of coal for just under 900 cash, all by using TPAAT (before i knew it by that name). Shoot, i got that lead from the first guy i asked! if i were you i would hold onto my money and keep looking.

It is a bit high for my area and my wallet.  But looking at the "average" asking prices from online, it maybe close enough to throw out a lower offer.

If you were to shop for those items on the online auction site, you are looking at...

anvil - $5/lbs  = 540 + shipping

hardy tools $25/each x 6 = $150 + shipping

vise $50 at a yard sale?  =  $50

You're looking at about $740 +  at the average asking prices.  If all you want/need is an anvil, maybe keep looking.  

If you wait and keep watching for local estate sales, flea markets, etc.  you may find all these items for a much lower price.  I would expect to see the anvil for $300 max at a local auction/estate sale.  The hardy tools $5 to $20 each depending on if the professional pickers are there.  And $20-50 for a bench vise, or $50 - 200 for a nice post vise.

However paying high dollar for hardy tools that you then don't use is tying up money you could make better use of.  Of the 6 tools there I see 2 I would use on a regular basis. In general I don't need so many different radii; just one would do me fine and then the one to use as a hardy.  I bought my last stack of hardy tooling at Quas-State where a fellow had a pile and was selling them for decreasing prices as the conference went on. I bout the ones I could really use day 1 and picked up a lot of maybe's when they were down below US$2...

I'd suggest digging out the Living Treasures of Japan video on Youtube and watching the sword making section again to make you feel better about your fork lift tine anvil...

At those prices I would consider a new anvil. I have a 125# JHM, and they are a good anvil. I agree with Thomas, the most i have paid for bottom tools is $3 ea. and I have a pile of them. 

If you have a forklift fork, you have a real anvil, just not a London pattern one.