I Forge Iron

Iron Hand , a single edged norse sword.

basher

Jarn Hond (Iron Hand)

This single handed Norse sword is patternwelded from 4 bars of steel, 3 twisted bars of 7 layers twisted clockwise, anticlockwise and then clockwise again. The 700 layer edge shows subtle patterning in contrast to the twists. My favorite patternwelding has elements that can be seen from a distance and then subtle patterning in the steel that draw you in, bling bling , wait a minute whats going on there!

Material for blade and fittings is 15n20 and EN42J (1080ish)

The guard is made from patternwelded steel, forged and heavily etched to emulate striped inlay, and is the bit I'm super stoked about .I have tried this a few times over the years and this was the first time I got the scale of the stripes rite without messing with them. I simply do not have the patients for wire inlay work so this is my in the style of could have been done like this version of inlay!

The blade is 31 ¾ inches long,  5mm thick at the guard, and 1 3/4 inches wide. The sword is 38.5 inches long over all.

Point of balance is 5 inches into the blade.

The sword weighs 2lb and 10oz.

The fittings have given this sword its name “Iron Hand”. The handle is leather over wood.

34451661123_6f9da8dd36_z.jpg

I deeply etched the fittings so there is a textual diference as well as colour and depth.

35260940025_e5f81d5bbc_z.jpg

All steel blade with bold and fine pattern.

35260941675_25d0369c12_z.jpg

close up of the Tip

34451661903_4a86d4ff0a_z.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...