I Forge Iron

Large Saw Makers or Sawyers Anvil

I just won this Saw Makers Anvil at auction.. its much larger in person then the photos indicate .. the photos aren't very good and I don't have it in my possession yet, probable won't until Saturday to look it over better.. Its quite tall not sure of the exact height or weight and measures 17" X13' so its pretty heavy..  I don't see any online that really look exactly it.. from the photos does anyone have any ideas of the maker ?? I will show more photos of it once I get it home.. thanks, JT

14699[1].jpg

14700[1].jpg

14698[1].jpg

IF the face is truely 17"x13" and I would estimate by the pictures is about 12" tall thats going to be in the 700 to 750 lb range. Every additional inch in height will add another 60lbs.

What a monster! Did you actually buy it at the auction or is that when you get a closer look? More pictures especially of the logo, if any would be great to see.

I think saw tuner anvils are cool, just a simple big block of steel with a hardened face yet their use was required to keep an industry producing.

I bought it at a small local on-line auction and once I saw it listed I went and looked at it at a pre auction preview to get a true idea of the size.. I personally didn't measure it but that's the auctions or sellers measurements its WAY Larger then it looks ...

I will get better photos and actual measurements.. I looked at it at the action preview and didn't want to attract attention to it so it was just a casual passing.. seemed larger then most I've seen.. still questioned the 13" X 17" stated size, so I called the auction house today and asked for measurements this is what a kid told me today.. the top measures 12 1/2" X 7" and 12 3/4" tall.. not quite 13" X 17" ?? but still a little larger then most I've seen pop up.. most I've seen seem to be around 6" X 10" and less the 12" tall. I'll pick it up either Thursday evening or Saturday morning, clean it up and see what I can find and get correct measurements and a weight on it and better photos.. thanks,  JT  

15 hours ago, Kevin A King said:

There are several folks on this forum from Alaska.  I often wonder what it would be like to visit and or live in Alaska!  THE FINAL FRONTIER!

Beautiful Anvil.  I do not own a saw makers and hope to have one some day.  

A former governor once expressed my feelings in something he said, "Alaska is the place I dislike least." Like any place it has its up sides and down sides. Summers are great it doesn't get dark at this latitude, sun sets but it's not far enough below the horizon to get dark. Of course winter is the reverse, on winter solstice the sun is over the horizon maybe 5 hours. 

Right now it's 11:00pm and I can see the sun setting on Mt. Denali. I'm surrounded by mountains, rivers and forest. This morning Mother moose was eating buds about 100' from the house while a feral cat stalked it. No, not a mountain lion, a house cat. NO idea what it was thinking but . . .

Like to fish? Fresh or salt water fishing is world class.

If you make it up this way give a shout we'll help you see and do the things you'd like. Maybe make a fire and abuse some innocent steel.

Frosty The Lucky.

8 hours ago, Frozenforge said:

Amazing how things shrink when actual tape measures and scales come into play!

That should make it right around 300 lbs. Very nice still.

thanks ! and how very true !! more to come soon... JT

On 5/10/2017 at 3:02 AM, Frosty said:

A former governor once expressed my feelings in something he said, "Alaska is the place I dislike least." 

Frosty a view of mt denail - tallest mountain in North America would definitely be a sight to see each day.  Thank you for your offer, hospitality and willingness to show me around.  I do not know that I will make it up there for a trip.  Maybe after retirement!

All the best

Kevin 

They probably meant 13"x7" and an extra 1 snuck in there. 

Sawyer anvil tops can be extremely hard, and chip easily on the edges. They were never meant for hot work as the blades were trued up cold and protected the face from a direct hammer hit. Be careful of missed blows when smithing.

Okay guys here it is !!...  well the measurements weren't all that wrong !! the base is 13" X 17"  the top is 12 1/2" X 7 "  and 12 3/4 " tall .. I weighed it on my digital crane scale and it weighed in at 390 Lbs. looks to say Fisher on it and a 1892 date.. I'll clean it up on Saturday and post more photos..  JT

IMG_0333.JPG

IMG_0334.JPG

IMG_0335.JPG

IMG_0336.JPG

IMG_0338.JPG

IMG_0339.JPG

IMG_0340.JPG

IMG_0341.JPG

IMG_0342.JPG

IMG_0343.JPG

IMG_0344.JPG

here are a few more photos of it cleaned up better the one is a bit blurry but its the weight of  " 390 " couldn't even tell it was there before but that's what my crane scale weighed it as also.. the face has some pitting but the rebound is great !! snaps right back in your hand at 18" with a 1" ball bearing !!  

IMG_0350.JPG

IMG_0351.JPG

IMG_0352.JPG

IMG_0353.JPG

IMG_0354.JPG

IMG_0355.JPG

it really does rebound like that, I was very surprised, I didn't even have to drop my hand to catch it. I dropped it several times and came right back to my finger tips from about 18" 

• 1 year later...