Riverdweller

Troubleshoot Wilton

7 posts in this topic

Just acquired a Wilton. 

Jaws close fine, but won't open. Probably a simple solution, but I am simple-minded.. ahem. 

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_4683.MOV

#1: make sure you are turning he handle the right way.;)

#2: soak in Kroil oil.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the internals of this vise, but since the handle seems to be unscrewing when you try to open the vice, part of the mechanism that secures the jaw to the screw must be broken or missing.  If you start taking it apart it will probably become obvious at some point...  -- Dave

I don't know them real well but I looked up Wilton vise's and under replacement parts it shows a blow up of a newer one, its pretty simple not much to go wrong, I would suspect a sheared pin.. I just bought this one a few minuets ago on a small local on-line auction . its a model No. 600 machinist vise with 6" jaws and 23" long.. its a heavy massive vise that's hardly been used... they sell new for $1199.00 !!  I bought it for $417.00

8090[1].jpg

8091[1].jpg

8092[1].jpg

8093[1].jpg

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 1:42 PM, Riverdweller said:

Just acquired a Wilton. 

Jaws close fine, but won't open. Probably a simple solution, but I am simple-minded.. ahem. 

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_4683.MOV

check on YouTube there are a lot of people restoring them and show them completely disassembled and reassembling them.. should help ..  

Hey guys thanks for the replies. 

I will check out those YouTube vids. 

Also will clean the internals. Meant to do that anyways. 

In the middle of my workweek, but will keep you posted on any results when I get back to it. 

Mahalo.