I Forge Iron

Frosty 6" t burner

Bill Mcclain

I'm building a frosty 6-inch T burner but not quite sure on the mounting or how far inside the forge it should stick thru also confused on what the burner flare is  Do I weld 6"nipple to my forge or what. Any help would be greatlyappreciated                                          Trailrider

I'm building a frosty 6-inch T burner but not quite sure on the mounting or how far inside the forge it should stick thru also confused on what the burner flare is  Do I weld 6"nipple to my forge or what. Any help would be greatlyappreciated                                          Trailrider

Good Morning,

You can adjust it in and out. Try this, try that. You will find that the Propane spray nozzle MUST BE DEAD Center. Some use a flare, some don't. If you put the burner too far in, the end will burn off with No Gain.

If you put your localle in your Avatar, maybe there is someone who you can get advise from, local to you.

Neil

Hello,

Mounting the burner into the forge;

Weld a pipe (as a sleeve) over your burner opening(on the forge) and tap a few bolts in the sleeve for adjustment. This will allow you to move your burner in and out for adjustment as you see fit. The sleeve should be just large enough for you to get your burner down through. 

Burner flare;

the burner flare is usually an essential part of the burner. It should also be tapped on with a set screw so you can adjust it on the burner tip. The adjustment of your burner inside your forge and the adjustment of your burner flare are needed to get the most proficient flame. So however you plan to fasten the burner, allow for adjustment. 

Also, even if your flare is barely inside the forge, it will get real hot. Many choose to use a stainless flare for this reason. You can also find good ideas looking at flare pictures through the images section of google search.. 

Good luck

I opened this thinking you were building a 6" burner and wondering what you were planning on heating with it. Looks like you're building a smaller one like perhaps a 1" burner. If you read some more in the gas forges section (where this post should be) you might find some useful suggestions there. 

Sorry my bad it's a 6-inch T burner 3/4 inch and all the ads and information I can find on it tells how to build it but does not say what the flare is made out of and also how far it protrudes down in to the forge . And also if I should weld it to my tank or Forge using a barbecue propane tank for my Forge

See this page for some information on the flare: http://zoellerforge.com/flare.html

I made mine out of a section of pipe the size that fits over 3/4".  Made a form with 12 degree taper on the metal lathe, and heated and pounded until it was flared the appropriate amount, which is not much, maybe 1/8" wider at the mouth end.

-- Dave

I just use a thread protector rather than a "flare". You don't want the burner protruding into the forge, stop the tip of the burner just inside the refractory liner. Make the burner port (hole in the liner) just larger than the OD of the "flare" or thread protector.  1/4" larger dia. is good, 1/2" is pushing too much. And yeah, rigidize and put a flame face of hard refractory in the burner port or it'll just burn out.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks frosty.  But I'm not sure what ur calling a threaded protector. I seen your  post and if I'm right u said not a coupling the only thing that I have seen as far as a thread protector is plastic. .also  is it hurting anything that I am putting my burner in almost horizontal instead of straight down. Thanks again. Bill

Thread protectors here are steel internally threaded from both ends. The HVAC plumbing supply at the end of our road has buckets of thread protectors and give them to me when I ask to be rid of them. I'm not familiar with plastic thread protectors but you aren't the first to talk about them. Maybe it's big box stores or where live. Everything here comes a long way. Couplers work but they're WAY thicker and more expensive than one of Larry's SS flares so I've never spent money on a coupler. 

No problem mounting the burners horizontally, there are advantages, they don't chimney heat when you shut the forge down so they don't get so hot and you can use rubber hose to the burner. I use copper for the final fuel supply because the burners are vertical and when I shut them off they get hot as can be. Now I have practice and a roll of 1/4" copper tubing that's how I plumb all mine.

Frosty The Lucky.

You're welcome. Everybody gets hung up on what PSI their burner SHOULD run. It'll run best for the job at hand in YOUR location in YOUR forge at the PSI it runs best. Forget what psi other people's forges run. There are too many variables for other folk's burners and forges to matter to you.

This is why you need to tune your burner preferably IN your forge. Lots of guys bench test a burner and ask help because it isn't working properly in the forge. Tune it in the forge so it burns as you need it.

That may sound harsh but it's the reality of home built things.

Frosty The Lucky.

In my experience an adjustable 20 psi regulator should be fine.  As Frosty said you need to tune and adjust for your specific forge and location, but if you can't get the heat you need with less than 20 psi chances are you don't have the burner tuned correctly or your forge is too big or of poor construction.

Cool I was buying a regulator with a 10-foot hose and that said 0 to 20 psi I just wanted to make sure that it would work but I'm builting Frosty's 3/4 ×6  burner he's calling for a 1/8 or 1/4  and the hose that I'm ordering is a 3/8 so I reckon I have to get a fitting to work for that

You're looking at the fuel supply line to the jet fitting. I use 1/4" copper line. HOWEVER the easiest way I know of to mount a mig contact tip for the gas jet is to thread a 1/8" Male Pipe thread fitting. it's ID (Inside Diameter) is close enough to either tap directly or chase with the Correct diameter drill bit and tap.

Once tapped the fitting will screw into the Pipe T via the 1/8" MPT tapped hole in the T. The side of the fitting sticking up in the air can be whatever one suits your needs. I didn't then nor am I now going to draw every possibility. I believe guys using hose connections can attach to a 1/4" male pipe fitting. Do NOT quote me my  memory is suspect, take your hose fitting to the shop and find one that works. 

There are any number of ways to mount the jet, I included this one in the plans I've posted here as the one that requires the least shop equipment and shop skills. The T burner is the easiest reasonably effective propane burner I could come up with to help guys get working. 

Frosty The Lucky.