I Forge Iron

A word of thanks

JHCC

More often than not, the entries on this list are requests for prayers in time of sadness, distress, or difficulty. Today, however, I would like to offer a word of thanks.

My daughter is in her freshman year at college and is generally doing very well (apart from a recent blow-up with her roommate, but that's getting sorted out). This is especially good, since she was on the receiving end of some pretty horrible bullying and social ostracism in high school. College, so far, is doing well for her, and she is double majoring in Classical Studies and in Creative Writing.

Last night, Imani got word not only that two of her poems are going to be published in the school's literary magazine, but also that she has been awarded a summer research grant to spend ten weeks on campus working with a faculty mentor on a project that will combine research on epic poetry with writing about her own experiences. The grant will cover her living expenses and a stipend, so that she won't have to get a summer job but can devote herself to her studies.

I am so grateful that our daughter is doing so well after such a hard time the last few years, and that everything Lisa and I imagined she could be has already been surpassed.

High school and college are worlds apart. In college they want you to succeed and encourage students.

Tell her to keep writing, and to enjoy the opportunity the summer has offered. Wish her the best from all of us.

Great news John! College is where people who have the drive start to excel, high school is too often a. . . nevermind.

Another bit of reality to maybe cheer a person up. College is where bullies start to discover they're going to have to ask the kids they tormented in high school for a job. The smarter ones that is, the dumber bullies? Who cares.

Give her a hug for me next time you see her please.

Frosty The Lucky.

6 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Great news John! College is where people who have the drive start to excel, high school is too often a. . . nevermind.

Another bit of reality to maybe cheer a person up. College is where bullies start to discover they're going to have to ask the kids they tormented in high school for a job. The smarter ones that is, the dumber bullies? Who cares.

Indeed. As a Christian, I don't believe in karma, but if I did, it would be a bitch. 

8 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Give her a hug for me next time you see her please.

Frosty The Lucky.

Will do; thanks. 

Karma is just a human name, heaven and hell pretty much the same thing. I try not to sweat the small stuff God will get it right. Everybody gets reality checks, some more often than others. 

I worked for Dad in his shop most of my  life till OSHA said I couldn't anymore. More than once one of the school toughs came to his shop asking for a job while I was working. Dad would talk to them but they had to have something to offer, a good attitude at least. The REAL tough guys would sit in their car and make their girlfriend ask. 

More than once Dad offered the girl a job. 

Don't mess with people you never know who they are. Oh I mess with people all the time but make sure they know it's in fun and I don't make fun of them. Not the same thing at all. I MUCH prefer having happy laughing people around me. Only a fool surrounds him/er self with scared people. Scared humans are DANGEROUS.

Frosty The Lucky.