I Forge Iron

For the obsessed newbies

For the obsessed self taught newbies who like me began with no knowledge of metalworking, engineering, welding...
Workshop-change1.thumb.jpg.0f158d4b42e9c82d9c5780c80e79d807.jpg

Pictures from the day lesson I recently gave to my old bosses who owned the shop I used to work in when I began torturing some scrap in the brake drum. Making some traditional aesthetic fire pokers...
Les-and-Chris-001a.thumb.jpg.261cc20628197729ec28bc97d03b8ce2.jpgLes-and-Chris-004a.thumb.jpg.5c70671cca8d489fcde09adb408e9f98.jpgLes-and-Chris-005a.thumb.jpg.8d3d105f30c99962bb49109ad71c1eb6.jpg

Granted this is taking things to the extreme (as I've invested everything into blacksmithing and eat/sleep/dream it) but I've put these pictures up for the obsessed hobbyist newbies who wonder if it can become something more.
I don't have any natural talent, I just learned patience and the fundementals of how the material bends. I now give day lessons to supplement my income from commissions and repeat constantly in lessons
Metal moves the most where it's hottest or weakest.
What's not in contact with the anvil is as important as what is.
If it's not in the right spot don't hit it. Accuracy is most important as it'll take you longer to undo a mistake than to do it right from the start.

Yes indeed! I am one that will always be in the "learning from others" stage.

But I'm loving this obsession, even though I haven't done anything but build tools so far. I've got to get done with that, or take a pause in that - probably will always build tools - and get back to firing up the forge and shaping hot metal.

17 hours ago, WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith said:

Joel, first thing that I noticed, and it is a good thing, your left handed.  Left handed people tend to be artistic.

Haha, nope, right handed. Being self taught means you do what's comfortable. I have the bick facing the other way because if I need to get right to the tip for something delicate I haven't got to strike across myself or walk round the other side, I just side step till I'm in the right spot.

On 13/02/2017 at 5:25 PM, Tubalcain2 said:

you just wanted to show off your awesome shop. :P super nice set up.

My workshop is aesthetically pretty but it's a pain in the backside. The layout is pretty much dictated by where I can safely put things on the super uneven floor. It's an old sheep shed so aside from the V sloped floor for the pee to channel away there's random steps & umpteen scuffs so moving anything by trolley or jack is "interesting".

7 hours ago, Joel OF said:

It's an old sheep shed so aside from the V sloped floor for the pee to channel away there's random steps & umpteen scuffs so moving anything by trolley or jack is "interesting".

All the time I've spent in old sheep barns was the two summers in college I spent hacking out a foot of compacted manure and straw because my boss couldn't be bothered to muck out the barn in winter.

You definitely got the better deal.