I Forge Iron

Crescent wrenches or adjustable spanners

Glenn

Which is the proper way to use a Crescent wrench or adjustable spanner?

Let us say you are trying to tighten a nut. That means you are turning the nut clockwise. This would mean that you are pulling with your right hand.

Is the fixed jaw away from you as you pull, or is the fixed jaw toward you as you pull? Which is proper for the BEST operation of the wrench and the stress that is put upon it?

* Fixed Jaw away
or
* Fixed Jaw toward

I was always told to put the force vector toward the movable jaw so it would be facing the operator as he pulls the wrench. My dad worked in a petroleum refinery and he was formally trained that way. However, I don't really know why it would make a difference.

I also tend to rock the wrench back and forth as I tighten the jaw so it will be as tight as possible. Many people (including me) prefer box ends where possible but I have a large 30" Craftsman crescent that is an extremely tight wrench and doesn't spring any appreciable degree - even with me bouncing on it with my full weight.

While I haven't been formally trained, I did grow up on a farm where cresent wrenches were the only one's you could consistently fine. I found that having the fixed end trailing the rotation so the fixed end would be away in this scenario, reduces the amount of slipping and stripping the nuts. Of course these were with cheaper wrenches so the movable piece has some play and seem to be able to spring out when used they are sustaining the force of the pull.

Fixed jaw away.
In fact, I think it's the same for channelocks, vise-grips, or for any wrench with an angled head.
I guess there's just more pressure put on the 'fixed-jaw' or outside of the tool.
The 'outside' of even my box end wrenches are a little heavier than the inside of the jaws.
I've got a set of angled 'line' wrenches ( for loosening/tightening brake lines and other hydraulic lines.
I hadn't noticed before........but even they are beefier on the outside!

I agree with the above, the moveable side should be towards you in your scenario, although we all know that sometimes you just have to use it backwards to overcome clearance issues.

BTW a 'Crescent' (adjustable) wrench is a brand name, as is an 'Allen' wrench (hex key), or 'channel lock' (slip jont) pliers, I am sure there are more out there but can't think of any off the top of my head.

BTW a 'Crescent' (adjustable) wrench is a brand name, as is an 'Allen' wrench (hex key), or 'channel lock' (slip jont) pliers, I am sure there are more out there but can't think of any off the top of my head.

"Vise-Grips" is a big one. It's amazing how many genericized trademarks are out there. My day job is captioning and keywording stock photography, and we have a huge list that we gotta make sure not to use in certain instances. My personal favorites are Popsicle (frozen treats/ice pops) and Hula Hoop (plastic hoop toy).

Back on topic: I've always been told the same as everyones stated above. Something about the fulcrum and the movable jaw being weaker.

-Aaron @ the SCF

The wrench should always be oriented so the 3' cheater you are jumping on has some room to swing :D

Fixed jaw away. The reason why is easy to remember and see if you picture a loosely adjusted wrench. Each jaw is only making contact with the hex in one spot. With fixed jaw away the force is being exerted at the base of the movable jaw, exerting less leverage against the jaw (and its corresponding groove in the handle) than if the direction was reversed and the force is being exerted at the outer end of the movable jaw. The above also applies to metric crescent wrenches and fit-alls.

Fixed jaw away is proper but mostly it isn't that critical, unless your using a cheaper quality tool that is prone to break or spread when any amount of force is applied.

I can't believe someone payed $176 for that wrench on ebay, I payed less than that for my 24" Snap-on right from the dealer.

welder19

An adjustable wrench is a necessity now a days with all the Muttrick Junk on the Market.

The movable jaw is always away from you.

Take a good look at the weak area of the movable jaw on the left.

Now look at point "A" this is the load or stress point if its away from you.

Now look at point "B" this is the load or stress point if its toward you.

Simple COMMON SENSE should tell you which way puts more stress on the movable jaw.

5222.attach

Adjustable spanner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wouldn't you know it, the Wiki says both -
1. Movable jaw leads the direction of force (I was overly verbose in my earlier note but this agrees with what I've always been told.)
2. Fixed jaw leads rotation (which is what I think Irnsrgn stated).

Sounds like nobody knows for sure. Buy a set of box ends and forget about it...

My standard plier pocket compliment for many years was, a pair of slipjoint pliers, a 6 inch crescent, a pair of small vicegrips(used to make my own before vicegrip came out with the small ones), and a straight bladed screwdriver. I even have a set of miniatures that I keep in a pocket when dressed up. 4 inch models.

nope keep the wire in the tool boxes in the van and suburban. some people dropped their car keys down a storm grate once, yup baling wire to the rescue, lock keys in car, BW to the rescue. tail pipe or muffler brkt rusts thru, BW to the rescue. will even repair a V fan belt if you know what to do.

when some gang types harass you, if you can get there attention elsewhere for a few minutes a couple of pieces of baling wire wrapped around their steering arm and into the fancy chrome spoked wheels will stop them from following you for awhile. LOL

Or some wire from each side steering arm up to a convient place on the underframe makes for nice crashes when they try to turn corners.

where there's a will there's a way. and them tiny fancy steering wheels don't give much leveage LOL

when some gang types harass you, if you can get there attention elsewhere for a few minutes a couple of pieces of baling wire wrapped around their steering arm and into the fancy chrome spoked wheels will stop them from following you for awhile. LOL

Or some wire from each side steering arm up to a convient place on the underframe makes for nice crashes when they try to turn corners.

where there's a will there's a way. and them tiny fancy steering wheels don't give much leveage LOL

Now, how do you know all that? Sounds like personal experience...;-)