I Forge Iron

DIY 2x72 Sander/Grinder

1981Eagle

I make a lot of things ... and I seldom do any 'plans' or work from prints.

Typically - I look around at various designs and I mull things over in my head (often laying in bed not sleeping) and then - if is is a fairly complex project and I haven't worked it all out yet - I will make a mock-up in wood.  I actually put more work than needed into the wood version.  Here is a set of three long-range rifle bench-rests I made and the wooden one shown too.

I got busy on my mock-up in wood for my 2x72 sander.  Here's where I am so far.  Working in wood is faster, I have lots of scrap lumber lying about, and it helps me work out how it will all work out and what metal I need to order. 

The main beam (the notched 2x6) is going to be 2x2 steel tube with a .120" wall.

Hope you like it

2x72_001.JPG

2x72_002.JPG

2x72_003.JPG

2x72_004.JPG

Yeah - but I had to work out where the pivot point needed to be so that the belt tension would be about the same no matter which one was 'out'

I still a have to make a 'backing plate' behind the belt and a rest (for both sides)

The motor set-up will be a 1-1/2 HP three speed stepped pulley

The two wooden 'struts' will be replaced with gas struts - so that should take care of uniform tension.

The top idler will have a tracking mechanism too ... probably a 'hinge' of some sort with a handle that allows me to pull the gas struts down and applies or reduces tension on the 'hinge' allowing for tracking adjustment.

A couple things I didn't fashion out of wood - too intircate and I have a pretty good idea in my head of what I will do.

A lot of work - and a lot of left over 'scrap' that is going to be quite usable - and the platen/wheel armature is 'done' with the notable exception of a backing plate behind the belt and the rests for both.

It is 5/8" 6061 AL - I figure it will be plenty strong enough for this application.

2x72_006.JPG

2x72_007.JPG

2x72_008.JPG

I got my first order of metal.  The main beam is 2"x2" and I put it at a 12 degree angle.

I have two 30lb gas struts on the way for a tension arm.  

Left to do is the tension arm with tracking control.  Then the motor mount and drive-belt tension control.  Then a bunch of finish work and paint and it's ready to use.

2x72_009.JPG

2x72_010.JPG

2x72_011.JPG

23 hours ago, John in Oly, WA said:

Interesting design. Looking good so far!

Thanks John ... 

In keeping with the 'interesting design' concept, I went with dual gas shocks on a telescoping mount, rather than a hinged arm with springs or shocks.  Now I will 'work out how I will make the idler wheel / tracking adjustment.  I'm liking it so far ... some of my welds aren't pretty, but they are solid enough.

2x72_012.JPG

2x72_013.JPG

2x72_014.JPG

One minor point not specifically addressing yours but for those who might also be considering "rolling their own".  Those stepped pulleys on the motor and arbor can vary wildly in quality.  The cheaper ones tend to be cast spelter or another pot metal and are often far out of round and wobble to a significant amount.  Bores are commonly often not perfectly square and concentric.  This can send vibrations into the rest of the system which can be annoying and problematic.  

If building, It's likely worth the extra cost to go with a machined pulley for these (often still cast but of iron).  It runs up cost but is an order of magnitude better than the cheap cast versions.  If cost is a factor and the cheaper stepped pulleys need to be used, don't settle for a bad one:  Replace it, true it on a lathe (carefully) or whatever it takes to improve performance.  You shouldn't settle for one which gives crappy service.  This is a machine tool, not some old blower where such a thing wouldn't matter.

1 hour ago, Kozzy said:

One minor point not specifically addressing yours but for those who might also be considering "rolling their own".  Those stepped pulleys on the motor and arbor can vary wildly in quality.  The cheaper ones tend to be cast spelter or another pot metal and are often far out of round and wobble to a significant amount.  Bores are commonly often not perfectly square and concentric.  This can send vibrations into the rest of the system which can be annoying and problematic.  

If building, It's likely worth the extra cost to go with a machined pulley for these (often still cast but of iron).  It runs up cost but is an order of magnitude better than the cheap cast versions.  If cost is a factor and the cheaper stepped pulleys need to be used, don't settle for a bad one:  Replace it, true it on a lathe (carefully) or whatever it takes to improve performance.  You shouldn't settle for one which gives crappy service.  This is a machine tool, not some old blower where such a thing wouldn't matter.

Great point - and mine are indeed cheaper cast stepped pulleys - if they create a problem, I will certainly upgrade them.

I made significant progress today, no photos, but the idler/tracking wheel is on

One thing how much tension one a belt is too much?  Or is there such a thing as too tight?  Mine 'twangs' like a bow-string and it has 60lbs of force on it

I still have to make a backer for the belt for the platen - and a rest.  Then a rest for the 6" contact wheel.   Last is the motor mount.  Then final finish work and paint.

The answer to tension is "as little as possible".  No, that's not what people like to hear but it's more realistic than a number.

The motor especially, doesn't have bearings which like a heavy side load.  Tensions beyond the minimum needed to produce adequate driving friction do nothing but wear bearings out faster than needed.

So, I'd adjust with an eye toward minimum needed to not slip under actual test pressures and to keep the belt from "flapping" under low tension but no more.  The belt and pulleys themselves can take significant tensions but it's a waste if all that tension you apply isn't actually doing anything specifically to drive the components and only wearing bearings/contact surfaces.  

I fight this same kind of thing daily on drives for industrial equipment we do--everyone wants to crank tensions (especially on chain drives) so they are fiddle-string tight.  I've even seen chains/sprockets/bearings worn out in days which should have lasted for years because of this.  You need to think backwards and seek the "loosest" that gets the job done instead.  It's not about how MUCH tension is right, but how LITTLE tension is right.  That will vary by machine and a little fiddling in operation usually gets you there.

Piggybacking on what Kozzy says above, remember that you don't need a tight tension on the belt to produce a consistent grinding surface (unlike, say, a bandsaw blade, which will deflect considerably if not sufficiently tensioned). The platen and contact wheel will do that for you.

Oops...I was so sidetracked with the pulleys that I missed the point that you were talking about sanding belt tension.  Higher tensions on a belt can start affecting tracking ability of a crowned pulley.  Up to a certain tension , the pulley is able to correct in the normal way (a belt will tend to climb to the high spot which hopefully is centered) but above that, the tension tends to overcome the climb so you lose that tracking. Because sanding belts are typically effectively inelastic, that break-over point can often be quite distinct...a tiny tweak too much on tension and tracking goes all haywire.  I'm actually writing a long drawn-out paper on belt tracking and why crowns track...plus failure modes of tracking for work now for inelastic conveyor applications.  Too much to go into here unless someone really wants to know the boring nuts and bolts of the subject.

• 3 weeks later...

It is just about finished - just a couple more little odds and ends.

I'm happy with the way it came out.  It's not mounted to the bench yet, I need to make sure that it is where I want it to be.  I'll probably design another front arm that holds an 8" wheel on one side and has a 'small diameter' contact wheel fork on the other.  

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0007.JPG

IMG_0008.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG

If you look carefully in the background, you can see my lathe, mill, parts of the surface grinder, pedestal grinder, the corner of the sandblast cabinet ... so this tool rounds out the shop nicely.  :D

Thank you both!

One choice I made early on, I could have had the machine 'low' and 'long' like it is ... or I could have brought the motor toward me, and raised the idler ... I don't know which is a better design - but my 'low' one, coupled with the rotating front, causes me to remove the angle aluminum 'backing plate' of the platen.  

So if you do one, you should design it so when the contact wheel is 'out' the entire platen is inside the belt!  Live and learn

I hesitate to offer any suggestions since you build looks so much better than mine, but I guess I'll do it anyway. :)   If you are using aluminum for your flat platen it won't be flat for very long - unless you were going to line it with glass or something like that.  Also, depending on how you mounted your flat platen you may be able to shorten it some so the belt fits in the opening when using the contact wheel.  A lot of machines do have a platen several inches shorter than the distance between the 2 wheels so that you have a place for some slack belt grinding above the platen without removing it.  In general though it's a professional and well built looking machine that should serve you well.  One other minor detail is you may want a guard or two in place.  One to keep the debris from your motor, and another to limit how much of the stuff goes around the belt and comes back at you.

That is a nice looking machine! My only comment would be that Aluminium oxide is I poor choice for a belt  ceramic belts will perform much better with less strain on your machine, your profile doesn't give your location but if you are able to source Trizac belts(from 3M) they are brilliant.

Ian