I Forge Iron

Canadian Source for Propane Forge Burner

Brez

Hey Guys.  The Edmonton Blacksmith Shop is looking at selling their forge burners separately. They have put them up on their website to gauge interest to see if they will choose to make them available for purchase. I bought their forge and though I haven't used it much (and know even less about forging) it seems quite capable.

It would be nice to have a Canadian option for forge burners for those of us north of the border who would like to make their own forge but don't wish to fiddle with burners. I would encourage anyone interested to check them out so they might make them available.

This is not intended as an advertisement and I have no affiliation with this shop. I know I looked a while myself for a burner option in Canada before I just bought my forge.

http://edmontonblacksmithshop.com/blacksmithing-tools-and-equipment

I looked at the burners and only find two problems with them: Their designs are poor, and the ycost more than the best commercial burners out there!!!  You cold purchase a top of the line Chile Forge burner for two-thirds the price of these JUNK BURNERS. Hybrid burners also cost far less, and come in five different sizes of very hot burners.

That should read "... and they cost..."

16 minutes ago, Mikey98118 said:

I looked at the burners and only find two problems with them: Their designs are poor, and the ycost more than the best commercial burners out there!!!  You cold purchase a top of the line Chile Forge burner for two-thirds the price of these JUNK BURNERS. Hybrid burners also cost far less, and come in five different sizes of very hot burners.

That should read "... and they cost..."

Yeah I am not too experienced in this so I thought I would see what the opinions of them were as well. I would also like to point out that the pricing is for a pair of burners so they are $160 each Canadian compared to the $199 US price of a Diablo burner from Chili Forge (roughly $260 + CAN). Thanks for your input though.

The pictured burners are of poor design someone managed to tinker till they . . . "work." They'd have to offer free delivery of a pair of those plus: regulator, hoses, fittings and a full 20gl. tank of propane before I'd spend a dime. That's why you asked of course, I've messed with the things a bit and now a bad burner when I see one, even if it DOES "work" it's not a good design.

Do you have basic shop skills, measure, center punch, safely operate a drill press, etc? Own a drill press or know someone who'll let you use their's?

You'll need a regulator, hose and a 1/4 turn ball valve anyway so not factoring those in, it'll cost under $15.00 USD for the plumbing parts, fittings and mig contact tips. Add the correct drill bits and taps, what another $15? So, figure around $25-30.00 for the first burner and another $15. ea from then on.

I posted the current lot tech build instructions here under "Illustrated T burner . . . " something or other, I can never remember the name of the thread. Check them out think about them and I'll give you a hand.

Just don't make asking me the first thing you do I might go all curmudgeon on ya.

Frosty The Lucky.

I find it odd that there is so little information on the products he sells.

I'm curious, I would have liked to know more about his anvil but there's nothing except pictures.

Maybe the website is still under construction...

In one of my Doctor Evil moods, I would  suspect him for trying to get a vacation to (name your favorite destination here) out of every sale, but in a matter mood I would simply suspect him from loving every thing he sells way too much. Listen too Wayne, and save a bunch of money and anger.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I looked into some basics of burner design (intake opening relative to burner throat, gas orifice position, etc.) and decided I would make some modifications to the burners and see what happened (can always make T-burner if it goes to crap). I made the air intakes bigger, drilled out the old orifice and tapped a TWECO 0.035 tip and positioned it about halfway in the intakes. Definitely made a huge difference in combustion gas flow, noise, and i presume heat output. I am just trying to tune them now. I am temporarily using a loose copper sleeve as a choke. I took some pics of the flame, looks like it is running on the oxidizing side? If all else fails I feel I am learning a lot playing with something that as flaws and figuring out what they are vs. following someone's instructions (the effort of which is still greatly appreciated).

http://imgur.com/a/7ckAW

It's not running lean in the pics. They also illustrate why we discourage hard fire brick floors, the ceramic blanket is coming to yellow and the fire brick floor is barely starting to show color and that's where it's in contact with the blanket. There's a conduction to the brick from the greater surface area to volume blanket making the brick hot at the contact.

I hope you're planning on plastering the inside with a hard refractory flame face at least. Propane flame is very chemically active and just LOVES the flavor of ceramic blanket. At least a coat of kiln wash but better both. 

Oh doors, you do plan on using doors, preferably NOT fire brick. . .  Of course. 0;

Frosty The Lucky.

Yeah I am waiting on a some castable to come in so I can line the forge with it. It should be here Wednesday and I am planning to pick up some insulating bricks as well at that time for doors. After that I will see how it runs, probably order some metrikote as well after.

I was in the same boat, trying to find a good burner in Canada for a good price. Did a bit of reading, picked up the parts to build a Frosty 'T' burner. 

I still have to finish tuning it but even without a final tune it gets one inch stock to yellow in very little time.

I choose the Frost 'T' because of the simple design and limited tooling need to make it.

If I could do it again I would not have wasted so much time looking in to built burners for my needs.

With the money I saved I was able to buy a 124lb Foster.

• 4 months later...

I would like to comment that after actually using the forge burners for a while now, I think they worked at least as well before I got my mitts on them. Seems I came down with a case of having to tweak something that wasn't broken.