I Forge Iron

hi, from indy

novam1a

Our membership represents over 160 countries here,  but I have to admit most of the posters from there are trying to sell us something. 

Welcome to the site, Fill out your profile and read through all the pinned "sticky" threads before posting too much, will save you some troubles later.

Having lived 4 years in Indianapolis, Indiana; I bet he's from there and just didn't think that there are others around the world with similar names.  Here in New Mexico, USA we have both a San Antonio and a Las Vegas and I have run into perplexed people who found themselves in the *wrong* one. (Not to mention Columbus New Mexico and a bunch of others all around the United States...) There used to be a billboard near my central NM house that was extolling the number of Drury Inns in San Antonio; unfortunately San Antonio NM was about 15 miles south of there on the Interstate and had *NO* hotels in it...putting a simple TX on the sign would have fixed it...

Not a big issue; just a reminder that you are talking to the WORLD on this site.  So what kind of knives have you done and what kind do you want to do?

(and as far as bladesmithing goes I'll trot out my standard suggestion to learn to smith well and then progress into bladesmithing---say make a bunch of Christmas gifts at the forge as a start.)

i really dont have a style yet .i like choppers, fighting knives, hunting and scandinavian designs . ive been into knives a very long time. making them is more of a challenge do to lack of equipment. i have been a jeweler for 23 years. something just called me to start this up lol. as of now im doing stock reduction but will be forging soon. i have a very old 125 pound anvil that i need to true up. it came out of a farmhouse that was vacant and run down for about 30 years in 2000. they are family friends and said i could have it. that is the moment that started my interest.

Please show us a picture of the anvil's face first; most folks end up doing damage to an anvil that didn't need any help rather than improving the anvil.  Forging anvil does not need silversmithing surfaces!   Silversmithing helps a lot in doing metalwork for hilting and making scabbards (chapes, throats, etc) so you are already a step ahead there

Pounding red hot steel on it will polish the face shiney and a bit of a swale helps to straighten blades as you learn to push them just a tad too far so they bounce back to dead straight---takes a lot of practice. (I end up using the anvil I'v owned the longest  for this as I have the most experience using it...33+ years on that one.)

Novam. your just in the nick of time...There is an IBA meeting this Saturday @ 9:00 AM @ the Parke Co. Fairgrounds in Rockville. Pitch-in lunch, coffee and doughnuts should be there when you arrive. John has a good set of demos lined up. I will be the tall guy with a beard. See ya there?           Life is Good           Dave

Maybe, if we talk real nice...we can talk Steve into driving down for a visit.......            Dave