I Forge Iron

Bladesmithing and blacksmithing classes are finally coming to Brooklyn!

TheoRockNazz

I am happy to say that I just got a new job managing, organizing, and teaching knifemaking, blacksmithing, and metal fabrication classes in Brooklyn!

Metal Shop Fantasy Camp (I didn't choose the name, haha) currently offers introduction to metalwork and welding classes, and I am coming on to add beginner knifemaking and blacksmithing classes. I got the position because of the success of my test-run of the "Forge your own bottle opener" classes, and am now going to be able to offer a wider range including several types of knife making classes.

Classes start in a couple weeks, I will follow up with more specific information when the schedule is solidified, but in the meanwhile I need your help with recommendations for what sort of classes would interest you or you think would be popular. 

Additionally, anyone interested (or knows someone that might be) in coming to guest teach or demonstrate should let me know. Jason Knight and Tom Ward have expressed interest, so we already have a great start!

Can't wait to get the community's opinion, Theo

GREAT NEWS; I can put you in contact to with a old student of mine that teaches smithing at the Idea Foundry in Columbus Ohio to discus  what works with his classes.

I know that he has "short classes" which are a one day project and longer classes that teach more of the process.  I believe he also offers "Ladies only" smithing classes to good effect. 

Well there is always taking fourth of july sparklers and removing the compound and mixing it in with the coal...

I've sent an email to my friend and if he is willing I'll PM you contact details.  Though you might search for various other such places and see what curriculums  they sponsor...

• 2 weeks later...

I swear I read it as "wedding classes" and wanted to suggest you have the newly married couple make horseshoe hearts.  Then I read it again and had no idea of an answer.  If it is a beginner class I would expect that the best they could do would be to perhaps weld their names, or some design, in nice beads on a billet.  If it is a bit more advanced (and you have the allowance for materials) they might make a shop stool or small table out of angle iron.