I Forge Iron

I'm pretty sure solid fuel is not for me...

Shogun71

After my first session yesterday I think the coal forge is not for me.  Tending the fire, time to heat between sessions at the anvil, and local fuel prices just don't push my buttons.  The smell of the coal did bring back nostalgia of the local mini steam train.  

I can now see that if I am going to move forward it would be with a propane unit.  I would be able to make a wheeled stand and move the unit in/out of the shop easily.  Not so much with solid fuel.  

A semi local farm runs blacksmithing courses starting in the spring.  I will take the 2 day course and see how things go.

When I have made sharp pointy things in the past I used stock removal so if I was to stick with knife making all I would need a forge for is heat cycling and heat treating.

So many interests, so little time, space, and money!!!!

I have lots to think about!

I use mostly induction and gas these days  however coal or coke  is better gas for lots of  forging and I did use it quite a bit before I got the induction forge  The waiting is not going to change with gas over solid fuel unless you are working multiple pieces which you can do in both solid fuel forges or gas.   Solid fuels will give you a hotter heat than most gas forges which is much better if you are working by hand.

Fuel cost and availability is really the deciding factor.

You can move a solid fuel forge on the same table and wheels you use for a gas forge, start up time is about the same. Smoke is controllable with good fire maintenance. Speed of forging and having a piece of steel hot is fire maintenance, as I have had 6 pieces of steel in the fire at one time in various stages of heat. It can work you to death if you let it, or you can hit the groove and there is always a piece of hot steel waiting on you. 

It all depends on that you are making, what type heat you need to make it, and if you are willing to work the system to your advantage. In the end, fuel cost and availability is really the deciding factor.

Learn the fire and how to operate the air flow on a solid fuel forge and you can learn to set the heat where you want it (by controlling the air flow).

I can always look at a 5 gallon bucket of solid fuel and know if the bucket is full, half full, or half empty. Looking at a propane tank you sort of guess, and have a second full propane tank as a spare, just in case. 

Then there is the transporting of the fuel. You MUST have a OPEN vehicle to safely transport propane, Ox/Ac etc. Solid fuel in the trunk of the wife's car can be accomplished with a couple of throw rugs, a tarp, and a light rope, even if the fuel is in 5 gallon buckets. Spill some solid fuel, even a single small lump of coal, and you may not be allowed to even have a set of car keys to HER car.

Come to think about it, propane, as I type, is sounding more and more like a better choice of fuel. (grin) This from a fellow that has and uses 4 different size solid fuel forges, one 4 inches diameter, one 9 inches diameter, one 14 inches diameter, one 24 inches diameter. 

@ Charles, No, I do not have a forge in the back of my truck.  I do have a brake drum in the bed of the truck that I intend to turn into a forge, if that counts.

2 hours ago, Glenn said:

@ Charles, No, I do not have a forge in the back of my truck.  I do have a brake drum in the bed of the truck that I intend to turn into a forge, if that counts.

It counts if you're going to turn the bed of the truck into a forge. That would be cool, run the rear tires onto a dyno type set of rolls to power a hammer and re route the turbo charger to provide blast for the forge.

It would be a show stopper. Be sure to post pics Glenn!!

Frosty The Lucky.

Ok, I decided to give the forge a little more time.  Winter is almost here so I might have maybe one more chance at it before the snow flies.

It will cost me nothing other than the ire of my wife to hold onto it.  I just need to find a place for it now.

99% of the smiths in human history worked with solid fuel forges.  99% of the masterpieces were produced with no electricity and solid fuel forges.  Blacksmithing takes years to become good, and many years to decades to become masterful.  While good modern tools make life easier they are by no means a requirement.  If you practice enough to become proficient with basic methods and tools when you upgrade a propane forge it will be an asset rather than a crutch. 

I am a beginner as well and I can tell you my first experience with the coal forge was not so encouraging, I was struggling to manage the fire, it was too hot and smokey and I went through a lot of coal. Fast forward six months, I got a decent blower with a switch to shut off when pulling stock out or going to lunch and a dam to limit the air flow, Keeping my air flow way down and learning to build a much more conservative fire that still gets the job done I can now run it a half day on very little coal. I am wearing a respirator for the soot but planning a chimney soon. So all I can say is give it a chance and you will probably grow to love it. I am keeping my coal forge and my present propane forge plus building another propane forge with a bigger floor area. 

When you build a fire with bituminous coal, first build a fire with sticks or wood that a boy scout would be proud to call his own. Slowly add a double hand full of coal to the wood embers and let it catch fire, then another double hand full, let it catch, etc.  If you get excited and just dump a half gallon or gallon of coal onto the embers, the fire WILL smoke, burning off the volatiles in the fuel till it catches fire.

The way to avoid smoke is to poke a hole in the top of the mound of coal  (think volcano) and let the smoke and some of the fire out through the hole. The smoke will catch fire and burn, greatly reducing the amount of smoke produced. A chimney will remove the smoke from the work place send it up the chimney and into the air. A good draft with a 10 or 12 inch diameter chimney works wonders, no respirator needed. 

The chimney should be pre-warmed with a couple sheets of newspaper and the height depends on your location and situation. The suggestion is 3-4 feet above the roof or anything within 10 feet of the chimney. I have used 6 feet of chimeny clear up to 15+ feet. Chimney diameters below 10 inch are a bit small and anything over 14 inch diameter actually draws less. Currently I use a 24 inch diameter chimney on a 55 forge with the supercharger modification. No smoke at the forge and very little smoke into the air to bother the neighbors. 

The easiest way to control the air going to the fire is to use a 3 inch flexible metal dryer vent with one end solidly connected to the air pipe on the forge. The other end is on the ground with the electric blower blowing toward (not connected) to the other end of the dryer vent. I have maybe a 3-4 inch gap between the blower and the open end of the dryer vent pipe. Aim a little closer for more air, not so close for less air. 

Fuel does not make the fire hot, air makes the fire hot. I like the infinite foot control and by watching the fire, you can choose the amount of air and the amount of heat your require for your project.  It was easy to just aim the fan less close to the dryer vent opening and step over to the anvil and leave some small amount of air going to the forge. You will have to work out the details at YOUR forge at YOUR location. It si not hard, just takes a little trial and error.

I started blacksmithing at the start of September with a coal forge and I must say that I love it. I love tending the fire, keeping it all nice an clean and the feeling of forging with traditional techniques. It is also quieter than the gas forge I have seen (or heard in that case). Only downside I can see for now is that if I ever want to setup a coal forge home, I'll have to build a shed outside as it would take many modifications to the garage to make it safe to use a coal forge indoors.

To each its own and gas forges have definitely advantages of their own.  The idea of trying both before taking a decision is probably the best but in the end, go with what you prefer / feel more comfortable with.

And like some others say here: Forge on and make beautiful things.