I Forge Iron

2" Tow Ball Hitch Cut Off Tool

I drilled a 3/4" hole in the web of my rail because a have a box of tow ball hitches and thought could make a bunch of tools. Here is a cut off tool I ground out this morning. Seems to work well. What do you guys think? Frosty does this help your guts thinking? LOL

Ball tool.jpg

Looks like it'll do the job. Wow that is a lot of grinding. 

Does it just sit in the hole? They are better off easily removed in my opinion so you can pop it out and get back safely hammering without a potential finger lopper there. 

On a side note, if it just sits in a round hole there is the potential for it to rotate around making you chase it. 

Yes Das it is a slip fit but tight so I just tap and pull so it pops out for quick change or removal. I thought about having to chase it so I cut in diamond pattern teeth on the collar so it grabs the web and holds it. I used it a couple times and she stayed in place.

On 10/20/2016 at 2:00 PM, Buzzkill said:

I had the same thought, but it looks like it would be fairly easy to weld some vertical pieces on that would keep it from rotating.

Again, I cut a diamond pattern in the bottom of the collar so it grabs or digs into the web just a little...welding a couple stops might be an option as well...thanks.

2 hours ago, turbo7 said:

Please stop cutting and pasting. 

I didn't cut and paste, I quoted the comment and responded. Isn't that what the "quote" button is for so ppl know who and what your responding to? I certainly understand not quoting with a prior photo as it will eat up bandwidth but not verbiage. Personally I like seeing what's being responded to as often times it's on different days going back and I unfortunately don't have a photographic memory!

That is a great idea. Myself I found a bunch of bucket teeth at the scrap yard and I welded one to a piece of round plate, works great for cutoff and for opening up my split crosses, Your trailer ball idea has me thinking, I believe I have an old 2-5/8" ball in the shed with a 1" shaft that I could grind into a 3/4" square to fit my little Swedish anvil. Are trailer balls hardened? I wonder if the grinding heat anneals them?

8 hours ago, bigb said:

Are trailer balls hardened? I wonder if the grinding heat anneals them?

Yes sir they are and they are a PITA to grind. I took my time grinding to make sure I keep the heat down. I also used a rag wrapped around the shaft and collar away from the grinding area and a couple wrapped around my vice with extra packed around the ball that I kept wet with cold water. This helps to draw heat away so that I could grind longer and stop less. (An old knikemaker tought me this trick) works great on straight razors and knifes. Every little bit helps.

• 1 year later...

The quote feature is very useful when two or more conversations are in progress, OR when some time has elapsed and you need reminded as to what your post references. It is not so useful when it repeats what you just read in the previous post.

When quoting you have the option to edit out all but the reminder of the post you reference. Usually one sentence or phrase is all that is needed to remind us. 

3 minutes ago, Glenn said:

The quote feature is very useful, and can be not so useful when it repeats what you just read.

This would be an example of an edited post. 

Think of it as reading a book. The easier it is to read the more you will read and understand.