I Forge Iron

Long sword tempering pipe

6 hours ago, Peter Bui said:

Found this on YouTube 

what do you guys think?

As Steve Sells notes, a lot of things in YouTube videos have been discussed here already (and many of them dismissed as idiotic, hazardous, or both). As a general rule, if you see something that interests you elsewhere (YouTube or some other forum), see if there's an existing discussion here that you can join. You may find your question has already been answered already; you will certainly be in a better position to ask informed questions (and thus run less risk of annoying the curmudgeons).

14 hours ago, Daswulf said:

I was going to make an assumption about terminology, but without the link it would be just that. Tho, I've never heard of anyone tempering in oil. Quenching yes.  But I'm no bladesmith. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BKiLAiB8t0o

I'm no where near being a bladesmith. The YouTube video pretty much shows the guy getting a long steel pipe and weld a plate at the bottom and filling it with oil with a propane torch at the bottom heating it whilst the blade is clamped to he top of the pipe with a thermometer to measure the temperature.

A buddy of mine has recently built a long electric tempering oven and he loves it to bits and says it's the best method of tempering swords but I can justify spending $2000+ to make one. I've read on the internet different methods of tempering from running the blade on a bed of charcoal to using an oxy torch but this one seems like the most easiest, just abit of welding and away you go.

Ive built myself a 800mm gas forge with 3 Venturi burners to compliment my smaller gas forge for heat treating. But I'm not too keen on building an electric tempering oven.

9 hours ago, Steve Sells said:

If you read in the knife making section, you will notice this was mentioned, including how close the tempering temperature is to the flash point of many oils, salts are much safer.   I will relocate this thread to the knife HT section.

I apologise Steve, I guess I didn't read everything in the knifemaking section. I have trouble using the search function. I did try and put in the search fields "oil tempering"

8 hours ago, JHCC said:

As Steve Sells notes, a lot of things in YouTube videos have been discussed here already (and many of them dismissed as idiotic, hazardous, or both). As a general rule, if you see something that interests you elsewhere (YouTube or some other forum), see if there's an existing discussion here that you can join. You may find your question has already been answered already; you will certainly be in a better position to ask informed questions (and thus run less risk of annoying the curmudgeons).

Yeah I realise not everything on YouTube can be taken seriously but I thought I would raise the question here first.

9 hours ago, Michael Cochran said:

I've heard of oil tempering but haven't tried it yet. The one example of it being done that I've seen didn't show how the oil was heated I was just assuming a torch of some sort. I'm glad you posted this because I'm just starting the research to build a small one myself. 

Do you have a link of that one example Michael?

21 minutes ago, Gorō said:

But I'm not too keen on building an electric tempering oven.

Goro,

Heat treating ovens are not too difficult to build and can be done for far less that $2000.
I built one for around $300 using all new parts.  It is powered by standard 120V AC and has a digital temperature controller.
I can provide construction details (separate thread) if anyone is interested.

IMG_20150912_145140272.jpg

I can't speak for non-US costs or availability but the PID controller I used included the thermocouple and solid state relay.  I think it was under $50 USD on Amazon. 
I also wound my own heating element coils.  The resistance wire was also purchased from Amazon for around $25 USD. 
I think the bricks were the most expensive part they cost me around $80 for a case of 25.  Misc switches and lights were probably another $25 or $30.
The hardest part was winding the element.  The wire is very stiff and I had several rats nests to untangle before I managed to finally get it.

5 minutes ago, JHCC said:

The search function on the forum software isn't great. A better option is to do a google search and include "iforgeiron" as a search term.

Thanks, Just did a google search with these fields "iforgeiron+tempering oil tube" and this came up

http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/46232-tempering-swords/

• 1 year later...
On 10/10/2016 at 10:04 AM, RogueGeek said:

Goro,

Heat treating ovens are not too difficult to build and can be done for far less that $2000.
I built one for around $300 using all new parts.  It is powered by standard 120V AC and has a digital temperature controller.

quote edited

I was wondering if you ever got around to providing construction detail for this. It looks great from what I can see but would like to know more about it. 

On 6/21/2018 at 11:12 PM, Aion27 said:

I was wondering if you ever got around to providing construction detail for this. It looks great from what I can see but would like to know more about it. 

Unfortunately I didn't.  I will try to do a quick write up or video soon and post it.