I Forge Iron

really ugly anvil with bad repairs

when time permits I am going to clean this up, check for markings, remove the badly welded plates and try to fix this.

at the moment though I have too much to do so just posting some pictures.

weight is between 100 and 112 pounds at a guess.

these pictures are from 2011 when I got this, more details when I clean it up a bit

the anvil has broken from above the feet to the middle of the table as can be seen in the second picture and 2 ugly plates have been added.

my plan is to closely examine it as is and then to clean it with pressure washer and hand wire brush and then examine it more, then to remove those added plates and check for markings below them, remove the welds that have been added and deeply V it and do a better job of welding and then look into refacing where needed.

this will take a lot of time but I will try to do updates when I can

4.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

it was probably just a failed weld, it may have failed after 100 years or more of use which still makes it a good weld, maybe things will be revealed when it gets fixed.

it will be some time as I have just moved shop and need to get machines working and tons of junk sorted so I can make my normal stock for events so it will be a winter project

Don't do a lot of anvil shooting over this side of the pond as far as I'm aware ( not comensurate with the laws here :rolleyes: ) .....but......given it's likely age it may well have seen at least one major altercation......so could even have been bombed.....you never know!

Anyone else notice the weld running diagonally down from the centre of the face towards the horn? It looks as though the front half of the anvil was broken off completely and then welded back on. And rather badly by the looks of it. 

Where did you find it David? It looks like a Czech anvil, you don't see very many of them over here. 

And what size is it? 

Andy

" weight is between 100 and 112 pounds at a guess."

" I got it from the south coast, devon / dorset way "

" the anvil has broken from above the feet to the middle of the table as can be seen in the second picture and 2 ugly plates have been added "

from previous posts on this, hope that helps andy

On 9/30/2016 at 3:49 PM, the iron dwarf said:

" weight is between 100 and 112 pounds at a guess."

" I got it from the south coast, devon / dorset way "

" the anvil has broken from above the feet to the middle of the table as can be seen in the second picture and 2 ugly plates have been added "

from previous posts on this, hope that helps andy

Sorry chap missed those. Just not reading things properly obviously. It's a xxxx shame I'm moving out of the workshop I'm in, I'd have offered to have a go at it myself. 

I look forward to seeing it fixed up though. It'll be a lovely little anvil once it's done. 

Andy

3 minutes ago, Kozzy said:

"really ugly anvil with bad repairs"?

The politically correct term would be "well loved" :)

im not a politically correct sort of person :P

4 minutes ago, Everything Mac said:

Sorry chap missed those. Just not reading things properly obviously. It's a damn shame I'm moving out of the workshop I'm in, I'd have offered to have a go at it myself. 

I look forward to seeing it fixed up though. It'll be a lovely little anvil once it's done. 

Andy

I got it before you joined here for the starting price of £50 on a certain auction site, no one else bid on it.

it is usable as is and I thought it was bad enough to repair.

there will be pictures and before we start we may use it for a while just to try it out

On 9/30/2016 at 11:22 AM, aessinus said:

Have to wonder how that got busted.  Under a big power hammer?  Anvil shooting?  A really enthusiastic smith get his hands on Mjölnir?

On 9/30/2016 at 2:00 PM, Smoggy said:

Don't do a lot of anvil shooting over this side of the pond as far as I'm aware ( not comensurate with the laws here :rolleyes: ) .....but......given it's likely age it may well have seen at least one major altercation......so could even have been bombed.....you never know!

This is pretty much what I was thinking. It looks like somebody else said Czech or I was thinking maybe Austro-Hungarian or south German but whatever. It's very possible the thing might be a casualty of war. Somehow it made its way to England though. If this stuff could only talkB)