I Forge Iron

Possible first London Pattern

Can anyone explain to me why there would be such a huge color difference between the base and top (and yes, I know they are welded at the waist)?   Speculation is fine.  I just don't remember seeing a photo with that large a visual difference between body and foot forgings.

Might be another time I have to say "Un-duh" when someone points out the obvious.

59 minutes ago, Kozzy said:

Can anyone explain to me why there would be such a huge color difference between the base and top (and yes, I know they are welded at the waist)?   Speculation is fine.  I just don't remember seeing a photo with that large a visual difference between body and foot forgings.

Might be another time I have to say "Un-duh" when someone points out the obvious.

That's interesting. I'll speculate, maybe it was buried upside down? The top half looks more pitted and weathered. I can think of a number of possibilities there just isn't any good logic them.

Frosty The Lucky.

I was on Queen's Island once-st, maybe early 90's.  Looks to me like it might have stood in a bit o the brine for a bit...  The old Newtownabbey facility had a load of warehouses on the waterfront that were deteriorating.   Very fascinating place and history.

6 hours ago, aessinus said:

I was on Queen's Island once-st, maybe early 90's.  Looks to me like it might have stood in a bit o the brine for a bit...  The old Newtownabbey facility had a load of warehouses on the waterfront that were deteriorating.   Very fascinating place and history.

Could be that, we do have the shipbuilding heritage here and it's current location is only about 5 miles from the shipyard!

If could just be me but the proportions don't look right, the to half looks almost too big for the bottom half to my eye. I'd expect the waist to be an inch or two taller.

With the relatively thick heel that anvil could be a brooks cast steel, but it could be any number of other makers too.

12 minutes ago, Foundryman said:

If could just be me but the proportions don't look right, the to half looks almost too big for the bottom half to my eye. I'd expect the waist to be an inch or two taller.

With the relatively thick heel that anvil could be a brooks cast steel, but it could be any number of other makers too.

Do you think the colour difference might be throwing your eye a little? Genuine question.

Are there any functional disadvantages to the short waist? It doesn't appear to have been repaired from damage or anything.

3 hours ago, Foundryman said:

This perception was actually what prompted me to ask the question in the first place.  It seemed rather far out in left field to speculate a re-weld or something like that but the proportions looked a bit off to me too. Occam's razor says no but something still seems amiss--assuming the weld line is where it appears to be (if it's a weld line at all).

20 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Different methods of cleanup?   Any blue paint traces on that anvil?

Yeah there is actually, is that relevant? I collected earlier it is a real brute! Also the colour difference is simply due to grey/white dust on the lower half

10 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

As I recall Brooks liked to paint their anvils blue and I was thinking it looked like one...However we don't see a lot of Brooks down here on the Mexican Border....

That is a real possibility based on the few images of painted Brooks anvils I have looked at. Although the anvil I have has no visible markings that I have seen as yet - any of the brooks one I have seen online appear to have quite prominent lettering on the side.

I'm pretty happy with it anyway; the rebound is good, edges are mostly in good condition and it cost about £0.80 per lb (roughly $1.06 per lb) not including the stand, which was thrown in for free!

10 hours ago, Kozzy said:

This perception was actually what prompted me to ask the question in the first place.  It seemed rather far out in left field to speculate a re-weld or something like that but the proportions looked a bit off to me too. Occam's razor says no but something still seems amiss--assuming the weld line is where it appears to be (if it's a weld line at all).

If its a cast steel books, and it's only a guess that it is, it wouldn't be too much trouble for a skilled sand moulder to cut out an inch or two of the waist when making the mould, though I have no idea why you would want to.

13 hours ago, RobbieG said:

Do you think the colour difference might be throwing your eye a little? Genuine question.

Are there any functional disadvantages to the short waist? It doesn't appear to have been repaired from damage or anything.

The colour difference could be throwing my eye but I something looks off to me. That being said, as long as the rebound is good there's no reason it cant be a perfectly good anvil. The fact it has a short waist just means you'd need a taller stand, you could argue there's less mass under the sweet spot but at 200kgs that's not an issue. Also, if it is marked as 200kg on the side in raised letters that's a pretty good indication it is a brooks.