I Forge Iron

Kanca

muddawgchuck

Kanca is a Turkish company.

They are experts at casting metal. Especially steel. They cast engine blocks, among other things for some large European automakers among other things.

I am not certain that they make leg vises.

There is a thread dedicated to Kanca anvils on I.F.I.

They claim that they, and Reflinghaus are the only two companies currently making cast STEEL anvils. Some other companies do not mention that their cast anvils are malleable cast iron. Please note that these anvils are NOT the useless gray cast iron anvils, like the A.S.O's coming out of the Peoples' Republic of China and Russia. Those "anvils" are useless as smithing anvils.

Examples of malleable cast iron anvils are T.F.S. (Texas Farriers Supply Corp.) They and their dealers (e.g. Centaur), do not mention the anvil  metal's identity.

Kanca anvils, offered in the U.S, are not cheap. I, personally,do not know if there are any other U.S., Kanca dealers..

Don't get me wrong, Malleable cast iron makes a good anvil, but I personally, would spend the extra money if I were buying an expensive new anvil to get a cast steel one.

SLAG.

Muddawgchuck,

You are right, Kanca does indeed make leg vises and Centaur Forge sells them.

I had not noticed it.  But they are pricey little devils.

Then again, I keep running into leg vises and cannot justify buying yet another one.

Try to score one second hand

Good luck with your quest.

SLAG.

Regards

Edited by SLAG
had another thought.

I don't mind paying for new tools if they are better.  All the vices I've found so far have been broke/welded (which may be fine but why chance it), so I'll keep hunting or try a new one.

My vice I have now is welded back together and I haven't been able to rebreak it but I t was free when I got it so I didn't mind so much.

On 9/7/2016 at 9:00 AM, muddawgchuck said:

I don't mind paying for new tools if they are better.  All the vices I've found so far have been broke/welded (which may be fine but why chance it), so I'll keep hunting or try a new one.

My vice I have now is welded back together and I haven't been able to rebreak it but I t was free when I got it so I didn't mind so much.

Buying the same type/quality tool which has needed repair previously will only serve to enhance your repair skills.

I happen to enjoy performing repairs especially well engineered jobs for my competition.

It helps keep the pecking order in line so to speak.

Therefore then, and discount the detractors there has never been a shortage of them,

Let us discuss vise and vices first in general and then specifically.

Your average vise is iron.

In the case of Machinist's vise the iron is cast. Cast iron is frangible. It likes to break.

However some cast iron is different from others ductile being a good example and the particular type to be chosen by the Wilton Co. for their bullet style vises. 

There is also a very small number of cast steel or semi-steel vises floating around from the good old days.

Find one of these and rejoice.

The general school of thought is to only use cast iron vise in relative ratio to their size.

Even this procedure can be defeated however. 

I had a 24" tall Columbian vise.

I built a special mount for it wich was only 18" tall. 

The bigger the vise the lower the mount.

Needless to say Joe Dipstick tried to bend something. Whe the part didn't let go he climbed into the excavator and put some force to it.'

So long to the biggest oldest vise in the county the had

already outlived countless heavy equipment mechanics.

.Next come wrought iron vis which are malleable and soft. More useful for smithing, they are hard to break and most parts are easy to fix by hand.

Like most vices (err, vises) larger ones and more are considered better.

11 hours ago, ukumit said:

Hello,

I am Umit from Kanca Hand Tools company, ıf you have any question about our products you can ask directly to me or send me an e-mail.

umit.kaplan@kanca.com.tr

I would love to help you.

Regards

Umit, welcome to IFI.

This forum is very important as it has been chosen by a great many master blacksmiths as the prime repository of knowledge of the metalworking craft.

Some of our best contributors are and have been manufacturers like yourself.

Please join us and have fun.

15 hours ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

Ukamit, welcome aboard. Please don't just hop in just for buisness sake, let's see what you know, lol. We can all learn somthing. Let's see your inner smith! Or for that matter big old power hammers and presses at the factory doing their thing, lol. 

Thank you for kindly welcome message:)

My purpose was help you for our products, we are wokring with some customers in USA and they are selling our products very well, and i wanted to support the end users about our products.

For example we give you long life guarantee for anvils and bench vices , because we produce our products drop forged :)

Regards

Ümit Kaplan

5 hours ago, arftist said:

Umit, welcome to IFI.

This forum is very important as it has been chosen by a great many master blacksmiths as the prime repository of knowledge of the metalworking craft.

Some of our best contributors are and have been manufacturers like yourself.

Please join us and have fun.

Hello @arftist,

Thank you for your kindly welcome message.

I was following your forum but i was not a member and it is very useful for me, as i explained my above responce, my purpose "help to end users about our products"

Regards

Ukumit  welcome as others above have said.  Information including pictures of manufacture (if they don't compromise trade secrets) would be great. We love pictures!   I  presume they might be allowed here, I'm sure  I'll find out soon if it isn't. 

We love to see how things are made esp. anvils & vises as they are beyond most of us to  make our own. 

IFI is about smiths and forging (and less I forget, other metal working endeavors). Be it industrial scale are hand forging a sewing needle.

Despite the fact that the owner of the site is based in the US, it is an international forum, bring it on. Costermer suport is great, but let's see the leaf key fob you forged over lunch, or the creative use one of the staff put scrap and flash to...

dont get me wrong, we appreciate  the effort to suport the end user, but if IFI has helped you, show us how, show us cocky Americans how you do it in the old world ;-) 

and on a side note, your English is better than my spelling (-D 

Yar, anvil forging videos!  Glad to have you.

For the sake of myself & the other "experienced" members, please add your country at least to your profile.  (user settings)

If you ask or answer a question, the resulting series of posts may be location specific.a question.